Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

8175 Pte J Murphy 1st Bn Royal Munster Fusilisers

davermf

• 2 years later...

Hi all,

I need some help with information on a family member who landed I believe on V beach Gallipoli with the Munsters. His army no 8175. He survived the war but never spoke about his experiences. Any information would be greatly appreciated. 

Many thanks. 

Welcome to the forum

To get us started can you give us his full name and any background information on date of birth etc

I assume from his MIC that he is John Murphy - never an easy name to research

Edited by corisande

Dave, how did you get to John Murphy #8175 as being your man...yes landed in Gallipoli in April 1915, and reported wounded by May 1915?

Andy

4 minutes ago, HolymoleyRE said:

Dave, how did you get to John Murphy #8175 as being your man...yes landed in Gallipoli in April 1915, and reported wounded by May 1915?

Andy

Hi Andy, since 2015 the last time I posted about John Murphy, a relative in America contacted me with his discharge paper. 

9 minutes ago, HolymoleyRE said:

Andy

Hi Andy,a relative has his original discharge paper that I didn't know about until recently. Can I ask do you have more information on him been wounded?

2 minutes ago, davermf said:

Hi Andy, since 2015 the last time I posted about John Murphy, a relative in America contacted me with his discharge paper. 

Great stuff....Might be worth changing the the title include his name and number...and having Royal Munster Fusiliers as a tag.

Andy

• spof locked this topic

Hi all, since 2015 a relative has uncovered John Murphy discharge paper with an army no 8175 1st battalion. If anyone could give some information be great. When wounded, photos etc

thanks 

Hi Dave, 

The wounding record is Listed as "Wounded" on the Casualty List issued by the War Office from 30th May 1915.

Sadly nothing more than that, however general rule of thumb is go back month to look for the event.. which ties in with when he landed at Galipoli.

Andy

Edited by HolymoleyRE

Neither Dave it on the genealogist and Forcewar record...and is purely transcribed info, not a document.

Andy

The FWR version does add 'Egyptian Expeditionary Force' and '1st Bn' which always helps confirmation. I haven't understood why the Cas List original is sometimes available and sometimes not. Perhaps because the earlier ones were copied from the Times and thus copyright issues? So why not look at Times archive for 30/5/15, available through most local libraries.

Charlie

52 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

So why not look at Times archive for 30/5/15, available through most local libraries.

Charlie

Had a scan through using his Service number, couldn't see him, will try using his name tomorrow.

BTW if you register with the Library of Wales...they have a number of digital archives as add ons, the Times being one...you need a Welsh postal address though to register with though......

Andy

• 2 months later...
  • spof changed the title to 8175 Pte J Murphy 1st Bn Royal Munster Fusilisers