Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

8175 Pte J Murphy 1st Bn Royal Munster Fusilisers

davermf

Hi all

I dont know if im in the correct section but he goes

im researching my ggfather who served with the rmf before and during the war.On the 1911 cenus he is with 1st batt Rmf in Nowshera India.

He is a 24 yr old Pte.His name is John murphy from cork.During the war he lost his toes to trenchfoot he surived the war and lived till the age of 75.

I do not know his army no. I would like to know

If anyone could help me in my research.

Thanking you Dave.

To you have his service number by any chance? There are 11 John Murphy's on the SWB roll alone from Munsters

Hi Dave,

I think I found him on the SWB roll. I checked all of the 11 and only 8510, Sergeant John Murphy service details would suite if he appears 1911 Census age 24. Rest of them enlisted during the war or wasn't close enough age. One enlisted 1912 and one John enlisted 1901 so can't be him as well.

23827015d7fe87_l.jpg

looks like he was some moment attached to King's Africa Rifles.

23827017165446_l.jpg

MIC shows that he landed in Gallipoli at 25th April 1915. He became entitled 15 Star, British War medal, Victory Medal and Silver War Badge.

Wow thanks!!

One thing i was told by my grand mother that he lost his toes during the

war and the army made him a special boot so he could walk....

Just on the roll of names he isnt wounded when discharged..

Thanks again

before he left for the front he was stationed in Coventry with the rest of the RMF they were stationed in Earlsdon, Coventry the other men of the 29th division in other parts of coventry. they left for gallipoli and came into Coventry from India. I have various named photos of men of the RMF no Murphy though, he would have been with Congreve when he won his VC.

Seeing his colleagues stuck, he pulled out the post holding the barbed wire in place with his bare hands.

Dave,

I have found this in the Casualty Lists for 8510, Sgt John Murphy:

Forename J, Surname Murphy, Casualty Status Wounded, Rank Sergeant, Service Number 8510, Regiment Royal Munster Fusiliers, Home Town / Place of Enlistment Listowel, Daily List Date 26th September 1917, List Number No. 5374, Part Number Part 8, Category WO's, NCO's and Men, Source WO Casualty Lists

Also do you have his father's details please, I am looking at Militia Attestations on FindMyPast.

Mark

Thanks mark and tharkin56

My ggfather was a cork city man as on the 1911 cenus hes birth place was noted as st annes parish cork and listowel is in kerry..

I think from looking at 1901 cenus in ireland his fathers name is micheal and mothers name ellen

Thanks again

Dave

Thanks mark and tharkin56

My ggfather was a cork city man as on the 1911 cenus hes birth place was noted as st annes parish cork and listowel is in kerry..

I think from looking at 1901 cenus in ireland his fathers name is micheal and mothers name ellen

Thanks again

Dave

Dave,

I am sorry I was unable to find anything relevant in the Militia Documents available on FindMyPast.

Mark

Hi,

A, that's a pity now but looks like SWB list of John Murphy's do not help. Perhaps some another forum member can have a second look. Only 11 names to check so this do not take a long. Only thing is - he may be served a short time on the other unit (garrison duties - not fit for front line) some period of time before he was discharged. In this case name like John Murphy is way too common to trace.

Maybe better approach is start looking unit lists who served in India at this time (1911) and maybe it is possible to narrow his service number down this way?

Anyway, good luck of your research! I can help more after next week when my exams are done! Oh, I do not look forward of them but has to be done :)

Thanks guys

I was looking on ancestry today and the records for 1st batt Rmf in Nowshera India only go to 1909

Does anyone know if there is records up to 1914?

Tks Dave

Hi all

Thanks so much for the help so far but,

Does anyone know if there are records from the Rmf in India around 1911 or Burma 1912

Ancestry dont seem to have any...

still having no luck in tracing my ggfather in ww1 but as i said earlier from 1911 cenus he is in India

Tks all

Dave

Dave,

You could look here for some information or leads to other sources: http://wiki.fibis.org/index.php/1st_Bengal_(European)_Fusiliers.

Another possible source is the British Library which holds most of the records of the British Army in India during the period of the Raj: http://www.bl.uk/reshelp/findhelpregion/asia/india/indiaofficerecords/indiaofficehub.html

This link take you to a page with a number oflinksto images you may find interesting: http://www.royalmunsterfusiliers.org/a2fotran.htm

Mark

Thanks for all the replys,

I recently tracked down j murphy births,marrage and death certs.

Can i use or were can i use these to track him down?

I have used ancestry but with no results..

Thanks all

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Did anyone of you guys do a search on a soldier and found notting on them?

I have been looking now for a year and notting which is a shame.Can anyone point me in another direction please..

Thanks guys

Dave,

Have you tried the Battalion War Diaries? It is possible that he gets a mention as a Sergeant, he probably won't as a Private, but they are always worth a try, and they can provide you with much information on the Battalions activities.

They are available at http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r/?discoveryCustomSearch=true&_q=1+Royal+Munsters&_ser=WO+95&_col=online. There are three groups of files each costing £3.30, so a total of £9.90. You will also find them at http://www.nmarchive.com/main-diary-result/page/0/division-all/brigade-all/regiment-munster-fusiliers-royal/battalion-1st-battalion/title-all/pieceno-all/fromdate-all/todate-all/title-all/pieceno-all/fromdate-all/todate-all, which is a subscription site, with varying rates depending on your needs/wants.

I have also just found that he was Mentioned in Despatches in 1917:

First Name: J Surname: Murphy Rank: Private Service Number: 8510 Gazette Info:

Gazette issue 29890. Mentioned in Despatches by General Sir Douglas Haig, G.C.B., Commander-in-Chief of the British Armies in France, to the Secretary of State for War, for distinguished and gallant services and devotion to duty.

Gazette Date:

01/2/1917

Gazette Page:

Duty Location: FRANCE

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29890/supplement/240

Mark

• 1 month later...

Thanks guys for the help

I really don't think this j Murphy 8510 is my ggdad as this guys place of enlistment is lismore Kerry

And my ggdad was born in cork.

I recently found his birth and marriage certs after a visit to Dublin records

Could I find out more with this information? Is so could anyone let me know

Thanks all

Dave

Dave,

Could you post John's father's name, and the name of his spouse? These are often written in the attestation documents and can help refine searches.

I am looking again.

Mark

Hi all

Those anyone know or have a passenger manifest for the SS Clyde around April 1915 as 1st batt RMF where aboard heading for Gallipoli.

I would like to confirm my ggdad was on board or not.

Thanks

Best source for that would be 1914 1915 Star Medal roll......date 25 April 1915

I am posting image in case it is your G/F but I think it may not be ,the address is not correct.This was published in the Irish Examiner in December 1915.I have some 200 images of men mainly from Munster,if anyone wants a lookup. I will be happy to oblige.

post-10169-0-10438600-1423345715_thumb.j