Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cap badge confusion

Battle14_18

We know that the Church Lads Brigade developed a close relationship with the Kings Royal Rifle Corps and even provided a battalion for them during WW1. I am wondering if there was also an association with the Rifle Brigade at any point. I ask this because the young man's cap badge in the second photo is nothing like the usual CLB badge, but does look a lot like the piper's badge for the London Irish. The London Irish were affiliated with the Rifle Brigade from after Cardwell's Reforms until 1908, when the London Regiment was formed. The single looped 5-button frock was also used by both KRRC and RB. Does anyone know if the London Diocese of the CLB had a special badge?

I can confirm that the second picture is London Diocesan Church Lads' Brigade. The LDCLB was a separate, distinct, different, independent, not the same as, organisation from the Church Lads' Brigade which operated everywhere else other than in the Diocese of London. I have an album of badges to the LDCLB on the British Military Badge Forum. Look for conijoni and his profile page. At one time the LDCLB had 24 battalions and 170 companies.

The CLB did not have a connection with the Rifle Brigade. It was affiliated to the KRRC in 1917. The badge of the LDCLB was the arms of the London Diocese - crossed swords within a shield surmounted by a mitre - surrounded by a wreath.

The CLB did not have a connection with the Rifle Brigade. It was affiliated to the KRRC in 1917. The badge of the LDCLB was the arms of the London Diocese - crossed swords within a shield surmounted by a mitre - surrounded by a wreath.

Thank you for taking the trouble to reply conijoni, that is very intriguing ( I had never heard of the LDCLB before this thread) and I shall look at your badges in the British Military Badge Forum with great interest. I imagine that the photo might be quite rare.

I'm afraid LDCLB pictures are not rare at all. Back around 1910 the postcard photograph was very popular and the LDCLB was at its peak. Many postcards exist of camp scenes, group photographs of whole companies or drill squads or colour squads, and lots of individuals showing off their medals. They were a very smart and highly efficient organisation. The Roxeth and Harrow Company is one of the most famous LDCLB companies and still operates today. Charles Garforth, VC, was a keen member before the outbreak of the Great War.

I'm afraid LDCLB pictures are not rare at all. Back around 1910 the postcard photograph was very popular and the LDCLB was at its peak. Many postcards exist of camp scenes, group photographs of whole companies or drill squads or colour squads, and lots of individuals showing off their medals. They were a very smart and highly efficient organisation. The Roxeth and Harrow Company is one of the most famous LDCLB companies and still operates today. Charles Garforth, VC, was a keen member before the outbreak of the Great War.

Thank you. I have found the whole subject of the LDCLB fascinating. Do you know what the strength of the whole of the CLB is today? Also do you know what colour the frocks were? It is striking how the pouch belts with badges, pillbox caps and frocks are all reminiscent of rifles dress at the turn of the century. I suspect that dress wise they were influenced by the Rifle Volunteer Movement.

The British badge Forum have dated the white metal badge to post 1923 so the photo is not your casualty.

I presume you mean the Irish harp cap badge is post 1923 which stacks up with all the other evidence (large peak cap, belt slider and arm badge) confirming the photo is post WW1. I've clearly mis-identified this photo and will have to try to work out which of my ancestors this might be.

I will also have to investigate the LDCLB to try to identify which ancestor this might be. By coincidence I grew up close to the Roxeth / Harrow area.

You've all been so unbelievably helpful I might try posting one other group photo that I know nothing about; I'll try a new thread for that.