Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/5th North Staffs - looking for more info about Great Uncle

Mickser

Just been on trip to Ypres - Larchwood Railway Cutting, Zillebeke - where managed to find headstone for Great Uncle - Sidney John Ward who died on 05 August 1915 Age 18 S/N 1846, 1st/5th Bn., North Staffordshire Regiment. I am looking for more detail on what was happening to his battalion then and hoping to pick brains of anyone who can guide me. I can only find general history of Unit and no War Diaries. Family history says he was killed at Hill 60 which is very close to the Cemetery. Any advice of how to proceed much appreciated.

How about this....

04 August 1914 - 14 October 1915 : Part of the 17th Brigade , 6th Division

Battles and Engagements

Battle of Armentieres. 13 Oct-2 Nov 1914, including the capture of Meteren.

Actions of Hooge. 19 Jul. 30 Jul. 9 Aug 1915

Hi Mickser

Welcome

From the 3rd North Midland Brigade R.F.A. War Diary

"9th August 1915 6th Division carried out an attack on the trenches captured by the enemy a week previous. Batteries opened fire in their zones the

centre of which is a point 2,000 yards South of Hooge."

There is no account of the previous weeks German attack, but it would be a fair bet that Sydney could have been one of the many casualties.

The 1/5th North Staffs were as stated above, part of the 6th Division.

Hope this is of help.

Regards

Tony

Many, many thanks Chris, John, John and Tony - this has set me on way to find out a bit more 1/5th North Staffs. I have downloaded war diary - great reading. Thanks all for your time and quick responss. Best wishes

Mickser

Have you seen Walter Meakin's history of the 5th North Staffords? Published in 1920, it describes the overall conditions at Hill 60 whilst the battalion was there in July/ August 1915 (although there is no mention of the specific events of 5 August). You can get a reprint from the Midlands Historical Society here.

C

• 1 year later...
Guest martyn0101

Mickser

Have you seen Walter Meakin's history of the 5th North Staffords? Published in 1920, it describes the overall conditions at Hill 60 whilst the battalion was there in July/ August 1915 (although there is no mention of the specific events of 5 August). You can get a reprint from the Midlands Historical Society here.

C

Mickser

Spent a good deal of time searching for this book and even called the Regimental Museum who couldnt help - just ordered that and the 7th Batallion - thanks for taking the toruble to post.

Martyn