The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

D.G. Browne, Tank Corps

Colin.hardy35

Browne is the author of The Tank in Action. Has any member biographical details of this former Tank Commander/Reconnaissance Office and knows if there is a photograph of him?

Hi Colin

What were his Initials? were they D.G. There is a mention of a fella by the name of Douglas Gordon Browne Lt 17th Battalion awarded the M.C. Let me know.

Regards Andy

Hi again Colin

Yes thats your man. hear is a quote from the Tank Corps Honours and Awards.

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty.He showed great skill and ability as company reconnaissance officer in operations on September 27th near Inchy-en-Artois and on September 30th atSancourt.In the firtst case the success of an the operation was mainly due to his reconnaissance of the Canal du Nord and the route up to it. He led the company tanks right up to the front line and set each one off in the right direction at zero.

In the second case there was no time to make a previous reconnaissance of the ground leading up to the starting point, but Lieut Browne led the tanks on an extremely dark night up to the jumping off point under heavy shell fire.

This Officer's hard work and ability had a very material effect on the operations.

Hope this helps

Regards Andy p/s contact the Tank museum at Bovingdon they may advise about picture.

Thank you Andy for your thoughts. Browne does outline his contribution as both Tank Commander & Reconnaissance Officer to the Tank Corps in his book. I was hoping for more background material if any is available in some obscure corner of Tank historiography which many members of the Forum haver access. Your suggestion to contact Bovington is good sense.

Hi, I don't have too much but he seems to have been born in 1884 in Willesden and died in 1963 in Ealing. In the 1911 Census he gives his profession as painter (artist).

John

• 1 year later...

Douglas Gordon Browne was my great uncle and I am also researching the family history. Douglas was a grandson of Hablot Knight Browne ((Phiz) the illustrator of Charles Dickens novels. My father, who was also in the army, has an original brass clock from one of Douglas's WW1 tanks, that is still in perfect working order and in daily use. We also have a lot of other family documents. Anyone with further information on Douglas would be welcome to contact me.

On ‎08‎/‎12‎/‎2014 at 18:12, Colin.hardy35 said:

Browne is the author of The Tank in Action. Has any member biographical details of this former Tank Commander/Reconnaissance Office and knows if there is a photograph of him?

Hi Colin,

Please see this photo of DGB taken in 1933-34.

BROWNE Douglas Gordon 1933-4.jpg

Andrew, a fine picture. I shall print it out to stick into my copy of his book.

I'm wondering if you have an original copy of the book & whether it still has its jacket? If you do have it I'd greatly appreciate a scan of the front panel as it has so far gone unrecorded.

alan

Andrew, thank you so much for contacting me.  I have sent you an e-mail requesting your permission to use it in my forthcoming book.

3 hours ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

Andrew, a fine picture. I shall print it out to stick into my copy of his book.

I'm wondering if you have an original copy of the book & whether it still has its jacket? If you do have it I'd greatly appreciate a scan of the front panel as it has so far gone unrecorded.

alan

Hi Alan,

I haven't a copy of 'The Tank in Action' but don't know whether or not my father has a copy.

I do have a copy of 'The Floating Bulwark' that he wrote. It was printed by Cassel, has a paper cover, and has a dedication in February 1963, by Douglas's wife to my father on the flysheet.

I also have a profile photo of Douglas taken around the same time as the one I've posted.

Andrew.

3 hours ago, Colin.hardy35 said:

Andrew, thank you so much for contacting me.  I have sent you an e-mail requesting your permission to use it in my forthcoming book.

Hi Alan

It may be of interest that Douglas's brother Lt. Kenneth Robert Gordon Browne also was awarded the MC while serving with the Essex Regiment

see https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=8WC-BAAAQBAJ&pg=PA218&lpg=PA218&dq=krg+browne+mc&source=bl&ots=OEwN75oUiK&sig=iQBKd7WYK1e2V5vIQdov_G_GOvk&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjWysaBtIXOAhUIBcAKHXc9B0AQ6AEIKzAD#v=onepage&q=krg browne mc&f=false

Regards

Andrew.

Andrew, would you e-mail me on colin.hardy35@btinternet.com please. I would like to exchange information regarding D.G. Browne's post war career.

9 hours ago, Andrew B said:

Hi Alan,

I haven't a copy of 'The Tank in Action' but don't know whether or not my father has a copy.

I do have a copy of 'The Floating Bulwark' that he wrote. It was printed by Cassel, has a paper cover, and has a dedication in February 1963, by Douglas's wife to my father on the flysheet.

I also have a profile photo of Douglas taken around the same time as the one I've posted.

Andrew.

Thanks for the info, Andrew. I wasn't aware that he'd written other books. There seem to be lots of copies of 'The Floating Bulwark' available so I've ordered myself a copy.

DGB was a prolific author.  You can see the list of all his books on The British Library website.