Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Jerusalem Memorial

David Seymour

I am preparing the Thetford Grammar School Remembrance Service for November 2003 which will feature four former pupils and one school master who died serving in the Norfolk Regiment during the First World War. One of the individuals concerned was Steel, Stanley Joseph, Captain, 1st/4th Bn., died 18/6/18, Jerusalem Memorial, Israel – Panels 12 – 15. If you are going to this memorial in the near future and would be prepared to take a photo of the name and send it to me for use in the Commemorative Exhibition which accompanies our Service I would be most grateful. Thank you for any help you can give.

David,

Thje Cosular Office in Jerusalem has an online offer that is right up your alley.

http://www.britishconsulate.org/cwgc/intro.htm

As I recall you provide the name and location, they do the rest. They post the images on the web, then contact you by e mail and you have a set (but generous time) to download the image.

Rob Carman.

What a great offer and website! I tried to save a couple of the cemetery photos, but was only offered bitmap in the Save window. Anyone point me in the direction of saving it as a JPEG (its described as that in Properties)?

Rob

Thank you for posting the site details. I have requested photographs of the grave and memorial for two soldiers I have been researching. I had been wondering for a while how I would obtain such information. Thank you.

Myrtle :)

Thanks for that lead Rob. I too have requested photographs of memorial entries for a couple of soldiers that I am researching. Unfortunately, the e-mail keeps being bounced back to me with a failed notification message.

Anyone else had this problem?

Marc

I was quite disappointed after I made a request to The Consular Office in Jerusalem for photo's, and NEVER received any response what-so-ever?!

Elsewhere on the Jerusalem Consul-General's site the Webmaster is given as Mr. Ghassan Sadi

I have e-mailed him to day (Britain.Jerusalem@fco.gov.uk) with this topic and drawn his attention to the difficulties as posted above

Hopefully he will be able to help

Regards

Michael D.R.

Thanks for doing that Michael. Hope that Mr Sadi is able to help. :)

Further to my post of the 6th;

this morning I have received the following reply from Valentine Madojemu, the Vice Consul (Consular) at the British Consulate General, Jerusalem

"Thank you for your email of 6 May. The services of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission in Israel and Palestine can be obtained through the Consulate-General in Jerusalem or through the CWGC's representative in Tel Aviv. Requests for services can be made to their respective email addresses which are;

1. Britain.Jerusalem@fco.gov.uk

2. cwgcills@netvision.net.il

I hope that this is useful."

I second that hope.

Please note the two new email addresses

and the best of luck

Michael D.R.

Michael,

In our quest for pictures of the Jerusaelm Memorial I have just tried cwgcills@netvision.net.il

but it bounced back.

I have also tried Britain.Jerusalem@fco.gov.uk again and await a reply. At least that message seems to have got through.

Many thanks for your efforts,

David

David,

I have just rechecked again and the e-mail address which I received is the same one which you first tried to use today: I will call the British Consulate in Tel Aviv on Monday morning and try to clarify this

However, since it is the Jerusalem War Cemetery which is of particular interest to you, then the second address which you tried is in fact the correct one for your enquiry

To recap:

The CWGC representative at the British Consulate General in Jerusalem handle enquiries regarding Jerusalem War Cemetery, Gaza War Cemetery and Deir El Balah War Cemetery

They can be contacted by e-mail at

Britain.Jerusalem@fco.gov.uk

As I understand it, all enquiries regarding the other War Cemeteries should be directed at the CWGC representative at the British Consulate in Tel Aviv

What a good job you started early for 11 Nov! Hopefully your pics will arrive in time

Best regards

Michael D.R.

David,

I have just rechecked again and the e-mail address which I received is the same one which you first tried to use today: I will call the British Consulate in Tel Aviv on Monday morning and try to clarify this

I have spoken with the CWGC representative this morning and it appears that the info which I received from the Vice Consul in Jerusalem is correct, but only regarding the War Cemeteries at Jerusalem, Gaza and Deir El Balah

For those other War Cemeteries which are covered from the Consulate in Tel Aviv, then the email address previously given is not to be used.

The preferred method of working for those who require photographs from these War Cemeteries is that you contact the CWGC HQ at Maidenhead (see this site's Links page) with your request, which will then be forwarded by them to Tel Aviv. As I understand it at the moment there is no official charge for this service, however a donation is usual.

Regards

Michael D.R.

Michael,

Thank you very much for making these enquiries on our behalf. With a bit of luck the pupils will see a photo of this memorial at Remembrance Tide this year.

Once again, thank you.

Best wishes,

David