The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2182/200251 Sergeant John Gow 4/5th Royal Highlanders

Guest jpdc996

I don't know if anyone can help, but I am trying to trace any information on 2182/200251 Sergeant John Gow, 1/4th & 4/5th Battalion, Royal Highlanders, Black Watch, who won the Military Medal in WW1 with 4/5th Battalion, which was recorded in the London Gazette in November 1917.

Would anyone know, which date he awarded it for?

I believe he was a Dundee man, so any information regarding his date of birth, address/family etc, or any other information would be gratefully received.

Many thanks

John

Medal index card for 2182 John Gow shows he was also Cpl 659536 Labour Corps, date entered France 3.4.15. You can see medal cards for free on Ancestry at the moment

MM records showing the reason for the award no longer exist, your best option is the period newspaper close to where he lived, they may have done a "local boy done good" story.

DOB and family details are more for a geneology website, your best bet is "Scotlands People".

Sam

I'm not sure if this is any help.

Sergeant J Gow, 200251, Black watch is reported in the Dundee Evening Telegraph of 16 October 1917 (BNA), to be among the wounded from the recent fighting on the Western Front who arrived in Dundee that morning and was admitted to Dundee War Hospital.

There are people on the forum who can give reasonable estimates of the time from the action to the announcement in the London Gazette. You could then look at the war diary or Wauchope's History of the Black Watch in WW1 and at least see what was happening to the battalion.

R.

War diary for August 1917 would be a reasonable starting point.