Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Get out the hankies - great ABC podcast about unidentified soldier

LinaMoffitt

Hi all

I had the good fortune to discover the ABC (Australian sister of the BBC) has RADIO NATIONAL podcasts - many on WW1 - I've listened to one and it was fascinating but I cried throughout. If you like it, have a look at the others listed.

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/hindsight/the-history-of-forgetting/5730310

This was all about an unidentified bloke who was sent back to Australia with shellshock. He was put in an institution for several years until a new doctor came along and decided to place an ad in the newspaper to see if someone could recognise him. Well, the story that unfolded, was a tear-jerker. Maybe many of you know of it but I didnt. I won't spoil the outcome.

I later contacted one of the researchers on the podcast and she is researching the number of parents who ended up in mental institutions after WW1 and/or committed suicide - Dr Jen Roberts, Uni Wollongong, another aspect of war I was unaware of.

At the end of the above podcast were some great interviews also with survivors of Changi and Burma. Some of my WW1 doctors were also in WW2, one at Changi. Hard enough going thru 1 war without going thru the 2nd as a POW for 4yrs.

thanks

Lina

Lina

Excellent post, so good that it made me turn off the football as it had me gripped.

And I won't give anything away.

Maxi

Lina

Excellent post, so good that it made me turn off the football as it had me gripped.

And I won't give anything away.

Maxi

thanks Maxi! I've been slowly going thru the other podcasts - amazing stuff. Unfortunately the Australian govt has cut the ABC's funding - so what did they do? they didnt get rid of the extra 400 public servants they'd recently put on but cut some of the great programs.