The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British Officers Waterbottles

CambraiComrade

Hello,

I am wondering how officers Waterbottles changed/looked throughout the war but mainly in in 1914. I understand they were privately purchased but what did they often look like, for I have seen few originals or reproductions. Does anyone have any photos or know if they used the OR's MKVI waterbottle?

Many thanks,

William

Hi William

there are several type of officers water bottles. The style usually seen with the Sam Browne was manufactured from a base metal (pewter) with a ball shaped screw top, covered in felt with leather loops( the bottle is approx. 5 inches wide by 8-10 inches deep). It could be slung using a long leather strap but some versions have a short strap around the bottle with brass clips to attach it to the D rings on the bottom of the belt.

Alternately the other version aluminium with a cork and is approx. 8 inches wide by 6inches deep, covered in felt with identical methods of carriage.

Later in the war when officers started to wear web equipment then they used O/R's style.

If you Google WW1 officers water bottle and click images you should be able to find a few.

regards

Dave

Hello William,

three examples here. There were more variants.

regards

Mark

post-11424-0-77635000-1418116830_thumb.j

post-11424-0-69547000-1418116850_thumb.j

Cheers old boy, do you know where one could source one of these?

William,

Not at present but they occasionally appear on ebay and some of the WW1 dealers on Militaria Mart have them from time to time.

regards

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Officers also private purchased the MkVI bottle in the P1903 leather skeleton carrier. These look the same as the ordinary issue bottle and carrier except the leather carrier is a higher quality/better finish.

Regards

Ross

Hello Ross,

Do you have any more information on this?

Many thanks,

William

Officers also private purchased the MkVI bottle in the P1903 leather skeleton carrier. These look the same as the ordinary issue bottle and carrier except the leather carrier is a higher quality/better finish.

Regards

Ross

Hi

I believe that this would be exceptionally hard to prove, the 03 leather equipment was manufactured to the pattern standard. This is still the case today, the leather must conform to the correct weight and finish. I have several examples of 03 cradles the leather of which have very minor differences and with one exception are maker marked and dated. Officers embarking to France during the early part of the conflict would usually not use anything other than their full Sam Browne equipment including water bottles. At this point the officers were always distinguishable from the other ranks in their appearance. Later however this did change when officers began to wear 08 and 14 pattern equipment and the cuff rank tunic was not used for front line.

regards

Dave

Hello Dave,

That's why I requested further information. It's just so hard to find a waterbottle these days, especially for under £100!

Many thanks,

William

Hi William

keep an eye on the well known internet auction site, the type of bottle in the centre of post #3 went for around £20

regards

Dave

• 6 years later...

Hello lads, 

I have a water bottle that I have been told is an Indian pattern officers ww1 private purchase water bottle, it uses the 08 Webb equipment does that mean it's late war? I can't seem to find any references in Google photos 

16252543715975452801904870218878.jpg