Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

War Memorial plaque for sale on Ebay

DMcNay

I noticed tonight that there is a memorial plaque for Alexandra Road Congregation Church for sale on ebay.

The listing states it came from the original church which was demolished but was in storage in the new church. Why on earth would they not put it on display?

Should this be reported to ebay? I don't see how something like this can be put up for sale.

Ebay listing: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1914-1918-Roll-of-Honour-Rememberance-Wall-Memorial-1-Flag-/131372165998

Just to add, I have sent a message to the seller asking why this is being sold desp[ite the church apparently still being in operation. I also mentioned that I found it rather distasteful for this to be sold rather than displayed in its rightful location.

The only Alexandra Road Congregational Church I have found while briefly searching is one in Hemel Hempstead.There is nothing on their website about their war memorials.

If they do not want to display it, then better it be sold rather than be destroyed or just hidden away.

This, from a 1934 Blackpool Guide Book . . . .

"ALEXANDRA ROAD CHURCH, South Shore, opened in 1908, is a handsome Gothic structure built of stone and cost £8,000. It contains a beautiful carved pulpit, the work of a Belgian refugee, and a fine stained-glass window in memory of those who fell in the Great War. The church has seating accommodation, including a small gallery, for 650"

The successor church would seem to be either the Victoria Congregational Chuch or the Alexandra URC. The latter seems to be on t he site of the original church.

Perhaps there's a new memorial in the new church and so long as the old one hasn't been stolen I don't see any difference between that and a memorial plaque being sold. It's better than having it end up on the tip.

Tony

I have sent an email to the latter church the URC one, asking them to confirm that the sale is being made with their knowledge and permission and giving a link to the item

Keith

• 3 weeks later...

111551177704 another for sale today, I saw this, no names non specific a society plaque

ebay number

probably a buildin clearance, the dealervp trades in wooden items.

Anyone know what happen to the church memorial? link doesn't work for me.

Walter

As the item number for the original subject of this thread is no longer valid I suggest that it was withdrawn by ebay.

Keith

Thank you Keith

Walter.

To my mind the worry is that withdrawal from ebay increases the possibility of it being dumped. As a sold item the buyer wants it enough to pay money for, if we make it hard or embarrassing to sell then the vendor may consider that it isn't worth the space it occupies and dispose of it completely, because in effect it was made worthless to him.

G

• 1 month later...

Its up for sale again at the Regent Sale Room in Blackpool. They want £100. Anyone got spare cash? Picture available, when I can find out how post one! .

Reported to the War Memorials Trust. I did contact the successor church last time but received no reply from them.

Keith

i came across a great war memorial for sale in Canada to a particular school i tried to contact them several times to let them know but to no avail!

I think he has just listed it on their site, probably having seen it for sale in this antique centre place - the comments section advises it is up for sale and where.

If Blackpool wasn't several hundred miles away, I'd buy it for £100, then figure out where it should go... so at least it was 'safe'.

James

Its up for sale again at the Regent Sale Room in Blackpool. They want £100. Anyone got spare cash? Picture available, when I can find out how post one! .

I can't see anything to suggest it has been sold, Phil.

I think it's just for us to see the photograph promised in #14 ?

if its not stolen I dont see the problem in selling it

better appreciated than scrapped

War Memorials Online is part of the War Memorials Trust, and they don't approve of any memorials being traded, The site exists to record memorials and their condition, and they also make grants towards the preservation and restoration of memorials, so I think it's clear that the chap who has listed it is just supporting them by ensuring that they have a clear photograph of it.

I had a discussion about a previous such item at a recent workshop held by WMT and their approach is broadly to try to persuade anyone who offers a memorial for sale to back off and offer it to an appropriate location, such as a local museum.

Keith

I am prepared to travel to Blackpool and try and contact the seller, if he/she wont offer it to whoever then I will buy it and then decide what to do with it, its my choice and my money . Ralph.

I'm not preaching, just providing some information. The antique establishment is easy to trace from the initial post.

Keith

Appreciate that , don't agree that these things should be sold, I have one at home that has been "saved" offered to the local history place and all I got was "something else to be put in storage" I have visited the storage building and there are at least two other memorials propped up against the wall, never to see the light of day again I should not wonder. The WMT know I have it and its description.