Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Photographs of German Infantry Regiment 169

German IR 169

I am interested in acquiring additional images related to German Infantry Regiment 169 (Baden #8) for use in a forthcoming website. I have attached a few photographs the collection of my Grandfather, Albert G. Rieth, who was a trumpeter in the Regiment's 9th Company from 1912-1915. His wartime journal was the inspiration of a book I recently published titled: "Imperial Germany's 'Iron Regiment' of the First World War: War Memories of service with Infantry Regiment 169; 1914-19-18.

I welcome and greatly appreciate any images that forum members may have access to.

Regards, John Rieth

Albert Rieth, Trumpter, 9th Company, Infantry Regiment 169 (Baden Regiment #8)

Albert Rieth, Trumpter, 9th Company, Infantry Regiment 169, pictured in 1913 during field exercises

Albert Rieth, Trumpter, 9th Company, Infantry Regiment 169, in staged 'aircraft' photo.

Hello John, Please send me an address I can send scans to. I have a number of photo for IR 169 I could send over.

Ralph

Hi Ralph, Many thanks for the offer, I will send you a note with the address. I see you are interested in the XIV Reserve Corps, and much of my interest is with the XIV Corps. Look forward to hearing from you, John

John,

this one may be out of scope for you seeing the date, but who knows?

:

There's a postcard for sale on Delcampe : a picture of the Unteroffiziere of IR 169 from 1908, with their names

http://www.delcampe.net/page/item/id,223205647,var,1-CPA--ORIGINAL-Photo--Infanterie-Regiment-Nr169--Names-of-Officers,language,E.html

Hi Trajan and JWK, Many thanks for the postings, those pictures are indeed great. Yes, those Flucht post cards must have been all the rage just before the war. I remember my grandfather's stories about his seeing planes and cars for the first time. Its really amazing to think about the rapid transition of early flight to the warplanes of WW I. Regards, John