Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Early war training - Royal Scots Fusiliers

Medaler

Hi,

I have yet another problem that I would like the members here to assist me in resolving.

I have a man who enlisted into the Royal Scots Fusiliers in early December of 1914 - according to my calculations based on his service number of 15894.

I am trying to determine which unit would have been most likely to have trained him. I know he ended up with 1st Btn in May of 1915, and I think that leaves me with just 2 possibilities. The first of these would have been 3rd Btn who, despite being on coastal defence duties, still presumably had a strong training role. The second would be 9th (Service) Battalion who, I gather, were converted into a "reserve" battalion in April of 1915. Given that my man sailed to the continent on 12th May 1915, I am currently favouring the latter of these 2 options, but lack the detailed knowledge to be absolutely convinced that I am right (or wrong!).

Without a surviving service record, is there any way of determining which of these would have been the most likely training unit for a man recruited in December 1914?

As always, any and all help would be truly appreciated.

Regards,

Mike

Hi Mike,

3rd Battalion Royal Scots Fusiliers was the recruiting/training battalion for the two regular battalions (1st and 2nd) of the Royal Scots Fusiliers. At the outbreak of war they moved from Ayr to Camp Fort Matilda - not actually at the Fort itself (which was manned by the Royal Garrison Artillery), but in huts and tents near Fort Matilda railway station up to Lisle Hill, between the twin towns of Greenock and Gourock. Despite what you may read elsewhere, they stayed in the same place throughout the war. I rather think that any Coastal Defence duties were secondary/nominal.

It is most likely that your man was trained with 3rd RSF, although we know that in late 1914 and early 1915, 3rd RSF received drafts of men from all sorts of other units (I am aware of New Army Black Watch men who were transferred to 3rd RSF, re-numbered, and then sent to 1st and 2nd Royal Scots Fusiliers quite early on in the war).

William

William,

Thanks very much indeed for that most informative reply. Your last statement about not knowing of any men who left 9th for 1st really helps me eliminate them. Typical - a 2 horse race, and I had my money on the wrong one!

Warmest regards,

Mike

The 1919 edition of the Royal Scots Fusiliers magazine has notes from each battalion, giving an account of some of their activities in the war. There is absolutely nothing for the 9th battalion, apart from a mention in the 3rd Battalion's account that "we provided cadres for the 9th Battalion". By the end of the war it has already faded from memory. Nor does it merit even a mention in Buchan's History of the Royal Scots Fusiliers as far as I can tell.

William