Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniform & cap badge identification

Susie H

Hello

I have a family photo of a WW1 soldier and would like to be able to identify him. Can anyone identify the battalion and any other distinguishing items that the soldier in the attached photo is wearing. If I knew the mans battalion then I would know which of two brothers he is.

Thanks

Sue

post-111347-0-23845600-1417892520_thumb.

Hello Susie,

He appears to be a Lewis Gunner, based on his sleeve badge and although the cap badge is indistinct I would guess with some certainty that he is a member of the Royal Welsh Fusiliers. I base this on the overall shape of the badge.

khaki

Just noticed the badge on his shoulder board appears to be territorial, two piece, T above regimental title, and he is wearing the simplified tunic of 1914.

khaki

Just noticed the badge on his shoulder board appears to be territorial, two piece, T above regimental title, and he is wearing the simplified tunic of 1914.

Agreed on it being RWF, and a 2-piece shoulder title, but the upper part of the shoulder is likely to be a flaming grenade (a bit like the cap badge) which is typical of all RWF battalions, not just the TF.

Definitely Royal Welsh Fusiliers and a Lewis Gunner, circa 1915. He wears the 'simplified' jacket as stated and has a pocket watch in his top left pocket.

post-599-0-26326200-1417895463_thumb.jpg

post-599-0-22882400-1417895604_thumb.jpg

post-599-0-83468500-1417895916_thumb.jpg

Also appears to have an id bracelet just visible on left wrist?

TT

If you look closely at the picture, you can see he is actually wearing the cloth slip-on shoulder titles of the RWF, not the brass versions illustrated above. Despite the Simplified SD jacket being worn these would put the date of the photograph no earlier than 1916. A good example of an original can be seen in post 19 of the following thread:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=143181&hl=slip#entry1722071

If you look closely at the picture, you can see he is actually wearing the cloth slip-on shoulder titles of the RWF, not the brass versions illustrated above. Despite the Simplified SD jacket being worn these would put the date of the photograph no earlier than 1916. A good example of an original can be seen in post 19 of the following thread:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=143181&hl=slip#entry1722071

Yes I think you are right. Looking again I too can see the cloth titles. Well spotted.

I would like to thank all those who took the trouble to reply to my query.

Hywyn - I have army details for two brothers, it was just that I didn't know which brother the photo in question related too. I am now able to give my photo a name.

Thanks again

Sue