Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Three chaps taking tea... what regiments and where?

wig

Can anyone help with the narrative of this photograph. The uniform of the chap with the pillbox hat is quite distinctive. Can his regiment be identified? The officer with the stick is wearing a very good quality SD type tunic. I can't recall officers wearing such SD tunics in WW1. Can any one help identify when these type tunics where worn and again, identify the regiment.

Many thanks

Wig

post-9356-0-54583900-1417875864_thumb.jp

Well, the seated figure on the right is an Hussar of some form, but I'd not like to say which (though I'm wondering 18th).

If it turns out to be a cavalry cornet raising the tone of an infantry mess char break, I am going home !

The whole photo has the look of South Africa or just after. Man on left has two gongs but neither look like QSA or KSA to me. Mother seems to have small ball buttons, so cavalry also ? His Smasher hat doesn't necessarily place the photo in S Africa or any other colony - they tended to be worn in UK too.

Wins my prize for best photo of the month so far !

If it turns out to be a cavalry cornet raising the tone of an infantry mess char break, I am going home !

Close the door on the way out.

I'd say the Hussar is NOT of the following

4th

7th

8th

10th

11th

13th

20th

and I think 15th is less likely than the rest, which would be 3rd, 14th, 18th or 19th.

(I'm basing this on drawing in A H Bowling's old Almark book on British Hussar Regiments).