Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Can't find the BWM / Victory page

Coldstreamer

Hello

The MIC for this chap doesnt show a reference for the BWM and Vict medal as is normal

There is a reference to the Coldstream Guards page which is cancelled through and has "cancelled for issue by A.G. 10" - any one know what this means or can find the reference page - would be nice to know what rank he achieved - if indeed he did go overseas again after commission

thanks

Ian

its early :whistle:

Lavender Ashwell late #2760 Coldstream Guards

'A.G. 10' was the branch of the Adjutant General's department responsible for the issue of medals post-war. If your MIC indicates that the medal issue was cancelled it coul be because he didn't qualify for campaign medals. Alternatively, if he was an OR who was promoted to officer rank then the automatic issue of his campaign medals (earned as an OR) would have been cancelled because any medals earned as an officer had to be applied for. You will commonly see MIC's which state that the recipient's medals are going to issued by, say, the RAF, or that his medals with OR rank are being cancelled in favour of a set showing his rank as an officer.

Obviously I haven't seen the MIC, but that makes sense based on the AG 10 reference.

thanks

I know he has a 1914 star as I have it and also shown on the MIC and relating star roll

surprisingly 2 people had this name and its not his MIC with the ASC that i am aware

When I said that he would have to claim his campaign medals, I was referring to those that he earned as an officer. The 14 star would relate to his rank service and would be issued automatically in the normal manner, the BWM/VM that would also be issued automatically were cancelled because they were superseded by entitlement to the same medals for service as an officer. Whether or not he claimed those medals would be another matter. Sounds like he didn't. It also sounds as though he did serve abroad as an officer, otherwise the original BWM/VM would have been issued.

Hope that made sense.....!

surprisingly 2 people had this name and its not his MIC with the ASC that i am aware

Alternatively, these are 2 separate, unlinked, MIC's to the same person. Maybe his BWM/VM were cancelled because they realized that they had been issued by the ASC.

Two Lavender ASHWELLs:

1891 CENSUS:
Lavender ASHWELL, aged 11, son of George and Jane ASFIELD. Born Bradford, Yorks.
Lavender G ASHWELL, aged 4, son of George and Annice ASHWELL. Born West Ham.
1911 census:
The Lavender ASHWELL born in Bradford is married and a Tramway Motor Man.
To hazard a guess - a candidate for Driver in the ASC ??
I haven't been able to find Lavender G. (Although possible/probable marriage in 1909, in Petersfield, Hampshire)
CGM
EDIT:
1911 Lavender ASHWELL, born Stratford*, is married and a Domestic Gardener in Sussex.
*Registration District West Ham

2760 Lavender Ashwell's MIC states "WS/1/2045 shew comm Labour Corps", which I understand to mean he was commissioned.

In the National Archives there is a file WO 374/2514 2/Lieutenant Lavender ASHWELL, Labour Corps.

Maybe this document could throw some light on the problem.

Martin

Thanks all - yes, will need (one day) to get his papers

The Bradford one I believe is the Coldstream man as his 1914 star was sent to leeds rd, bradford

Nothing for him on the Bradford Roll of Honour.

Keith

Thanks Keith for looking

Thank - will check the gazette details you found