Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

End of the road I fear

lionboxer

Unless anyone has any other ideas for avenues of research I think that I've come to the end of the road with my quest to have my man recognised as a non-com. In the absence of his service record I was up against it anyhow. My last hope was the newly released pension record card from the WFA....it came back with his details (regtl no.,unit and address) but stamped across it was "File destroyed 1928".

Lionboxer

Probably end of the road.

In that, I'm assuming that he died post discharge and the cause of death was not an obvious service related matter (like wounds).

As you'll know, there has to be a clear link between cause of discharge and cause of death. It is not sufficient that an illness is contracted whilst in service - it has to be actually due to service or aggravated by it.

He died at home Jan 1921 from TB only just two years after his discharge KR 392 XVI. Frustratingly no mention anywhere that I've seen whether it was wounds or sickness. During a recent conversation with his niece she said that her father spoke of loosing two brothers in the war (one is already commemorated). I wondered if anyone has yet deciphered the various code numbers and letters on the pension cards? Clutching at straws I know but I feel I can't let him down. He is buried in our churchyard in sight of the village war memorial where his brother and peers are commemorated.

Lionboxer

Perhasp you could post the card and see if anyone can make sense of it.

I presume you've tried looking in the local newspaper or parish magazine for any mention of him at the time of discharge or death.

I hadn't thought about the local paper at the time of his discharge though I did try around the time of his death. Sadly no parish magazine.

I've attached the pension card, see what you can glean.

Lionboxer

212 Beaumont.pdf

• 5 years later...

I don't see that card on Fold3 (presumably it is one of the records still to be uploaded?), there is a pension ledger but it merely says that he died from disease after discharge. Service number is 877001 which matches his SWB record, so I assume 877701 on the above card is an error?