Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Thomas Burn RFA or RGA later Northumberland Fus

Peterhastie

I have almost convinced myself that the Thomas Burn below, from the Newcastle AVR, served RFA, 38th Brigade, 6th Division.

post-28237-0-81851200-1417799656_thumb.p

But his mic looks more like RGA, which might make him 38 Heavy Battery, RGA., 38th Welsh Division.

When i look at the medal roll references, 128B page 5552, WO329/54 is RFA.

Also what appears to be his 1920 renumbering to 750663 says RH & RFA.

I can't find his medal roll on Ancestry to confirm it.

He went on to serve Northumberland Fusiliers after the war and went to India.

His occupation on his 1922 marriage cert was "Private Northumberland Fusiliers 4281892"

Do you have a date of birth?

38th DAC could be 38th (Welsh) Divisional Annunition Column ??

Several Thomas Burnses on Ancestry but not those numbers.

Several from the North East.

No dob, but possibly b1896. If he continued to serve after 1921 then his service shouldn't be on Ancestry?

So could he have been either RFA or RGA in the Divisional Ammuniton Column.

He was also a Saddler

I have almost convinced myself that the Thomas Burn below, from the Newcastle AVR, served RFA, 38th Brigade, 6th Division.

attachicon.gifThomasBurn.PNG

But his mic looks more like RGA, which might make him 38 Heavy Battery, RGA., 38th Welsh Division.

When i look at the medal roll references, 128B page 5552, WO329/54 is RFA.

Also what appears to be his 1920 renumbering to 750663 says RH & RFA.

I can't find his medal roll on Ancestry to confirm it.

He went on to serve Northumberland Fusiliers after the war and went to India.

His occupation on his 1922 marriage cert was "Private Northumberland Fusiliers 4281892"

Certainly 38th Divisional Ammunition Column, R.F.A. and the low number 1789 is consistant with an ACI regarding the renumbering of those serving in D.A.C.'s.

His later 1920 RH & RFA number (750663), should also have been carried over to his transfer into the N.F., as that was the whole point of the 'new' numbering system the number went with you, no matter who you served with. This possibly suggests a temporary Discharge for him to receive a new number in the N.F.(4281892), which is higher than one would normally expect to see.

750663 is his 1917 TF number and puts him connected to 1st Northumbrian Brigade RFA. For some reason he seems to have been transferred to 3rd Section, 38th (Welsh) Divisional Ammunition Column. However, I don't find that too unusual and perhaps his six figure TF number took a while to filter through. 750663 in the new 1920 numbering belongs to Robert Smith born 1905

EDIT: His service file under number "4261892" and incorrect surname "URN" is still with the MOD. His date of birth is given as August 10, 1896.

750663 is his 1917 TF number and puts him connected to 1st Northumbrian Brigade RFA. For some reason he seems to have been transferred to 3rd Section, 38th (Welsh) Divisional Ammunition Column. However, I don't find that too unusual and perhaps his six figure TF number took a while to filter through. 750663 in the new 1920 numbering belongs to Robert Smith born 1905

EDIT: His service file under number "4261892" and surname "URN" is still with the MOD. His date of birth is given as August 10, 1896.

Cheers for that David - was wondering why a 1920's R.F.A. number wasn't being carried over on transfer, as was usual.