Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Indian Army Casualties August 1921

Amor

Hi,

I have created an overview of all the reported deaths (according to the CWGC database) for all the allied services from 1914 to 1921. It is surprising to see that there are 4,648 Indian Forces deaths reported for August 1921. Can anybody explain why this is such a high number (the average number of monthly recorded deaths in 1921 was around 180)?

Rgds,
Alex

I suspect that something is wrong with the figures. I looked on CWGC and got the same overall figure as you, but when I searched for areas that Indian troops might have been serving in I just can't find anything approaching this number. India alone gave just over 50 hits, and when I looked at Iraq I got just over 20, 2 deaths in Egypt, 1 in Pakistan, none in Burma (Myanmar). That's less than the previous overall monthly figure and leaves about 4,580 deaths unaccounted for. That's just not possible.

Just looked at the CWGC results again for August 1921 - for some reason the search returns Indian deaths dating back to 1914, hence the abnormally high figure.

Was this the time when the missing were legally presumed dead?

Ron

Was this the time when the missing were legally presumed dead?

Ron

Interesting thought. I didn't think that there was a fixed cut-off date - wasn't it based on a particular period after death was presumed? In this instance, I had a flick through some of the CWGC pages at random and lots of men on each page has a marked grave. Reckon it's just a strange mistake in their system. I wonder how accurate their search engine really is......?!

Hi,

Well spotted, and strangely with but a few exceptions almost all of them have recorded dates of death as 4th August 1914.

Rgds,
Alex