Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

DofC Own (Middlesex Reg't) 12th Bn

Kev R

I am looking at the war diaries for the above around the date of the 14th March 1916 to establish where a relative may have been when wounded in the leg on that date. Looks like he was either;

- actually wounded on the 15th when on their way out of the trenches having been relieved, or

- interestingly caught up in an incident on the 14th whereby "This morning a man found a detonator and took it into his dugout and after examining it hit it with a stick wounding 7 men and blowing his hand off" !!!!!! As if it wasn't dangerous enough!

Anyhow, the location AI or A1 is listed as where they are. Anyone any ideas where that is?

A1 is NE of Carnoy.

The 12th Mddx were in the trenches 11/3/16 until relieved by 11RF 15/3/16. 11RF lost 2 OR.

Places named at this time Bronfry Farm, Billon Wood, Carnoy, Bray.

Many thanks, does A1 relate to a mapped area or is it a particular trench system do you know?

I can't really tell you. It was a sector on a map. Have a look through the war diary as some have maps or sketches.

They were sections of the line. D was up by Fricourt at the turning north of the line, C south or Fricourt, with presumably B and A heading further east along the line up to the point where the French line began. They would be (roughly) rectangular blocks with the shortest edge on the front line and the longer edges running back into the British lines. I don't know how far, if at all, that these sectors were classed as running into No Man's Land or the German lines.

Steve.

I'll have a shuffle through the diary and see what I can find wrt maps then. Thanks guys