Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Ersatz Bayonet EB55

gnr.ktrha

Hello Folks,
I have in what remains of my bayonet collection an example of the EB55 Ersatz Bayonet, it is one of the few bayonets that I have held onto. I was wondering if anyone knows of any others that are for sale at the moment or have been auctions in the last few years? I am happy if you want to PM me the details. I remember reading that they are not a common type and I am curious to know more about them.
Thanks for looking and I look forward to hearing from you.

Your bayonet should look something similar to this if it is the EB55. Yes they are reportedly quite scarce and highly valued. I have no idea of current prices.

Cheers, S>S

post-52604-0-73389800-1417733202_thumb.j

Very scarce version. I've not seen one before despite having bought loads of Butcher Bayonets over the last 10 years. I'd say rarer than a sawback but have never seen one for sale so could not guess a price.

John

Hi SS,
Yip that's the one. Mine is not in such great condition though. The metal work on the handle has gone a darker colour, but is not pitted with rust. I have a copy of Anthony Carter's World Bayonets from 1984 and years ago I had the chance to note additional EB numbers given to each model of Ersatz bayonet in the book.
Hi John,
It's the only one I have ever seen. It's about 20 years since I stopped actively collecting Bayonets, but at that time it was not uncommon to find all sorts of goodies on market stalls and in junk shops.

Regards,
Stewart

I have a copy of Anthony Carter's World Bayonets from 1984 and years ago I had the chance to note additional EB numbers given to each model of Ersatz bayonet in the book.

Yes in that book Carter rates their rarity as an R8 ... which equates too "Very rare and hard to find. Often very expensive." Value updated 1996/97 "about £250."

Some background on these, Kiesling's 'Bayonets of the World' states they were "used by the cavalry in very small numbers". Look more private purchase to me.?

Cheers, S>S

Very rare/ beautiful bayonet & would love to add it to my collection

But must say I tend to agree with S/S, these bayonets look far too pretty & probably ( I am a carpenter by trade, so metalwork/engineering not my strong point) would have cost too much to make them viable for ersatz bayonets.

Just an obsevation as ersatz bayonets tend to be of a more simpler construction for ease of production, such as S15, S14. Atho still had wooden grips, the whole thing used less metal & less complicated blade profile & metal handled variations even less time in production.

Only my 2 cents worth as the classification on these have always bothered me since Trajan 1st sent me some carter & keisling books.

Aleck

Indeed a rarity and an example would grace any Ersatz or other bayonet collection!

Very scarce version. I've not seen one before despite having bought loads of Butcher Bayonets over the last 10 years. I'd say rarer than a sawback but have never seen one for sale so could not guess a price.

Interesting point GB, although sawbacks are not really as rare as all that. Of my six 98/05's, all colelcted in Syria and Turkey, three are sawbacks; a dealer / collector in Oxford I came across has about 10 98/05's, and four are sawbacks. Bearing in mind that sawbacks only represented 6-8% of production, they are over-represented in the surviving examples - I guess that they were more likely to be brought back as souvenirs!

Yes in that book Carter rates their rarity as an R8 ... which equates too "Very rare and hard to find. Often very expensive." Value updated 1996/97 "about £250."

Some background on these, Kiesling's 'Bayonets of the World' states they were "used by the cavalry in very small numbers". Look more private purchase to me.?

Cheers, S>S

Well, Kiesling does have his moments! As for a 'private purchase' Ersatz, hmm... that would be a new one... I don't have any reference books with me here but I think that during my 'bookish leanin'' I would have noticed a reference to any Erstaz as being a private purchase! But always happy to be corrected! Sawdoc - have a check with Carter if you can on this.

Trajan

PS: Aleck - been away for a week and catching up, will e-mail you later!

Just e-mailed my wife who checked my books and found my copy of Méry, and she wrote back that on p.90-91 on the EB 55, there are four photographs of them in use: two of guys with pickelhaubes; a group of 'Luftschiffer' chaps with shakoes, one with an EB 55; and a cavalryman with an EB 55. I wonder if Kiesling saw that and assumed that this was a regular issue to cavalrymen? She quoted Méry - “Plusieurs exemplaires ont été rencontrés avec des immatriculations régimentaires” - and noted that one of the examples he shows has a regimental marking. Méry is not given to exaggeration so although rare, perhaps they are not as rare as Carter thought.

Trajan, you have provided very good information. The EB55 is one of the scarcest and most sought after Sg88/98 bayonets, it was far from a well finished "private purchase" item.

Mery's book also shows at least two well rusted examples recovered in the ground on the Western Front indicating combat use on the front line.

The use of wood for the grips gives the impression of a finely made item but, in my opinion, it was more of a weight saving device, the hilt was cast iron. Many ersatz bayonets were made with grips of solid cast iron or brass and are much heavier than those made with sheet metal grips, adding considerably to the weight the soldier has to carry.