Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Caves at Nampcel near Vic sur Aisne

Len Trim

Richard Holmes waxes lyrical about these caves in his fantastic book Riding the Retreat. Anyone know if there is regular access to these and exactly where they are?

Len

• Admin

Len

Drop me a PM with your email address and I will get back to you with some info over the weekend. Bit late now!

Michelle

I remember Michelle's father penning a good article on the Chemin des Dames area for the WFA many years ago....used it as a guide when we first stayed in the area almost 20 years ago.

Thanks for the information Frank. Have PMd Michelle.

Len

• Admin

Len can you resend your pm please, I inadvertently deleted it earlier at work. Senior moment

Michelle

I posted this some time ago which,if you are that area, may be worth a visiting.

In Vingre, which is between Compiegne and Soisson, stands the site of a french execution 'pour exemple pour les autres'.

Details of the executions are displayed on a notice board and you can sit in the 'cell' where the soldiers were held on the night before they were to be shot. The sad thing about this site is that the men executed were chosen in the style of decemation as their unit was deemed not to have fought with sufficient bravery.

Today, individual houses in the village have adopted a victim and attached to their properties a perspex plaque with a photo of the soldier together with the last letter home. Very moving.

Maxi

Hi Maxi,

thanks for that very interesting piece of information. I shall add it to our itinerary.

Len