Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Index to be released of pre 1901 DoB service records still held by MoD

Justinth

1 hour ago, William Bryce said:

Hi,

Came across this on ancestry.ca under UK, Military Discharge Indexes 1920-1971 when searching for my father's service number.  

Name: W. Bryce

Birth Date: 21 April 1895

Service Number: 1467147

Additional Regiment: Royal Artillery

Reference Number: ADT000068048

Household Members: 131801

My father, William Bryce, was born 21 April 1895, was in the Royal Engineers in WW1, He told me he acted as a calvaryman, a sniper, a signalman, and a motorcycle despatch rider.  I have a photo of him on horseback with rifle & a crookstick (used for checking for breaks in communication lines).  Is the same surname, initial, & birth date too much of a coincidence?  Could Royal Artillery be a clerical mistake?  I guess it's possible that he could have served in both the RE & the RA but the latter has never been mentioned in our family history.  Also, I've never come across a 7 digit service number!  Any thoughts? 

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

Bill Bryce 

PS What are Household Members above?

7 digit numbers are post WW1 - from around 1920 or so onwards.

#1467147 is in the range allocated to the Royal Garrison Artillery - http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/a-soldiers-life-1914-1918/new-british-army-numbers-issued-in-1920/

Craig

Bill,

1467147 was indeed a William Bryce who appears to have been discharged on August 21, 1939 (Findmypast - Royal Artillery attestations 1883-1942).

1 hour ago, William Bryce said:

I have a photo of him on horseback with rifle & a crookstick (used for checking for breaks in communication lines).

Most likely taken in his role of signaller. The Signal Section of a Brigade would have a connection with the Divisional Signal Companies (RE), therefore a transfer or attachment could easily be envisaged. 

Thanks, Craig & David.

I thought it would be too good to be true that this man would be my father!  But, boy, what a coincidence, same name and birth date!  All it needs now is that he was born in Greenock, Scotland!!!

Hi,

Came across this on ancestry.ca under UK, Military Discharge Indexes 1920-1971 when searching for my father's service number.  

Name: W. Bryce

Birth Date: 21 April 1895

Service Number: 1467147

Additional Regiment: Royal Artillery

Reference Number: ADT000068048

Household Members: 131801

My father, William Bryce, was born 21 April 1895, was in the Royal Engineers in WW1, He told me he acted as a calvaryman, a sniper, a signalman, and a motorcycle despatch rider.  I have a photo of him on horseback with rifle & a crookstick (used for checking for breaks in communication lines).  Is the same surname, initial, & birth date too much of a coincidence?  Could Royal Artillery be a clerical mistake?  I guess it's possible that he could have served in both the RE & the RA but the latter has never been mentioned in our family history.  Also, I've never come across a 7 digit service number!  Any thoughts?

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

Bill Bryce

PS What are Household Members above?

• 7 months later...

Don't know they had plans let alone time scale 

On 14/01/2019 at 12:28, charlie962 said:

Any news on MoD's plans to make these records more accessible/ digitised ??

In the current climate, I don't imagine things have progressed since this posting was made. It may be the case - pure speculation on my part - that there is the hope that funding would come via FMP or Ancestry paying towards the digitisation, then hosting the images via their pay wall. This doesn't help TNA in terms of covering the costs of physically storing these documents. I'd see this as back door privatisation.

On 07/10/2017 at 13:38, ss002d6252 said:

Part 6(d) of the minutes confirms that neither the MOD or the NA had the money to scan the documents - I can't imagine that this has changed. I've not heard of change to the position.

Craig

I had cause to use the Ancestry dataset that is derived from this, and I was surprised to see reference to RAF records. Thomas Charles Wharfe, born 12 August 1890, served prior to WW1 in the Royal Garrison Artillery. He appears on the 1911 Census, and his service record has survived too. His MIC gives an RAF service number of 336997 and his commission as a Flight Lieutenant dated 9th October 1941 is in the London Gazette.

The Ancestry database indicates there are two records held by the MOD, which must be his airman's service record and his officer's service record. It's the first time that I had encountered RAF records via this database.

Name: Tc Wharfe Birth Date: 12 Aug 1890 Service Number: 666033/37 Rank: RAF Officers and Other Ranks (pre 53) Reference Number: XPE000063843 

Name: Tc Wharfe Birth Date: 12 Aug 1890 Service Number: 31133 Rank: RAF Officers Reference Number: XOR000024935

Not sure if this has any bearing on the above

Service Record application research

MOD have commenced a project to digitise the application process. Come and see the latest version and have a go!

The DBS team look forward to seeing you.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/your-chance-to-question-ministry-of-defence-medals-and-records-experts-at-family-history-shows--2