Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

16th Rifle Brigade Prince Consorts Own

Guest Micra

Hello, this my first time posting anything so I hope I do it right.

I am trying to find where my grandfather was when he was wounded in November 1916. His name was Albert Edward Mills S18358 16th Rifle Brigade. He was born 18th September 1890. He attested at Leyton on 10th December 1915. Unfortunately his service records haven't survived but my grandmother received a letter and two postcards from the War Office informing her that he was seriously ill in No.23 General Hospital, Etaples. They are dated 8th,13th and 27th November 1916 respectively. He had gunshot wounds to his right side and left leg which they had to amputate. He died in 1970 and only mentioned the war once. He said when he was wounded and laying on the ground as the other men went past him they said they would come back for him but he stayed there a long time before help finally came. When he was convalescing he embroidered two regimental emblems. One was of his younger brothers regiment 1st Dorsets and the other I assume was his own Prince Consorts Own. He was discharged on 13th July 1918 after serving 2years 64 days with the Colours and 143 days with the Army Reserve.

I have looked on various websites but I am confused by 16th St Pancras Rifle Brigade, 16th Service Battalion and Prince Consorts Own Rifle Brigade. My son downloaded 16th Battalion Rifle Brigade War Diaries for me but they only mention KKKC and Sherwood Foresters and The Black Watch so I think I have battalions and brigades mixed up.

I would be extremely grateful if someone could point me in the right direction as to which War Diary I need to look at or another way of finding where he was.

Micra

Welcome to the Forum.

Albert's medal roll confirms he was in the 16th Battalion of the Rifle Brigade and this should be the correct war diary. I suggest you have a look at The Long, Long Trail here (for the 39th Division) and here (for the Battle of the Ancre Heights - 1st Ocober to 11th November 1916). This is likely where he was wounded.

Here is further information on the cwgc.org website.

Mike

Hello Mike,

Thank you for your help and for checking the medal roll. It seems I have downloaded the correct war diary after all. I was confused because it doesn't mention the Prince Consorts Own regiment. I'll have another look.

Many thanks for your help.

Micra

• 1 year later...

Hi I am another first time user of this Forum

My grandfather was James William Dyer. He was born 12th October 1883 in Suffolk

I can find his WW1 Medal Roll Card but no other information on his War, especially I can't find his service record

According to his Medal Card he enlisted on 22nd April 1915 and was Discharged 30th August 1918

I know that he survived the War even though he lost an arm.

The Cause of his Discharge was Para 2B1 392XVI Kings Regulations

I should be most grateful for any help in discovering anything about where he might have fought and where he might have lost his arm

Many thanks for reading this, appreciated

Morning Rob,

Welcome to the Forum.

May I make a suggestion, please.

Please start a new thread in the 'Soldiers' section asking for information but putting in as much as you can ie regimental number, regiment, etc.

From the above it is very difficult to know who to look at, especially as he survived.

Look forward to reading the thread,

Regards,

Graeme