Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

WW1 RAF Service Record Abbreviations and why two service records

gricer

Hi

I'm doing some family history research and came across a couple of WW1 RAF Service records for my wife's grandfather which were a complete surprise. I'm a bit stuck on some of the abbreviations and wondered if anyone could help?

His name is John Coxon, born 17 October 1899, he enlisted on 13 August 1918 and his RAF service number is 181661. Firstly I'm puzzled why he has two service records. One is in RAF Officers' Service Records 1912-1920 and the more detailed one in the RAF Airman's Service Records 1912-1939. I think a clue may be on the back page of the Airmen's Record which lists his Trade as 'Cadet (Flying)' and as you'll see I don't think he completed his training before the war ended.

The abbreviations I'm stuck on from the images below are:

CDD

8CW

EPD Shrewsbury

DC Halton

I think "7 S of A" is No. 7 School of Aeronautics but a confirmation of that would be helpful.

Just to complete the story he was transferred to RAF Reserve Class 'G' on 27.01.1919 and was 'Deemed to have been discharged on 30.04.1920.

Part of the first image isn't too clear as someone seems to have been doodling and overwritten the original script! The greyscale image is from the Officers Service Record the rest are from the Airmen's Record.

Any help would be most welcome

Thanks

Dave

post-59388-0-17163800-1417607475_thumb.j

post-59388-0-89608800-1417607510_thumb.j

post-59388-0-82250400-1417607454_thumb.j

The references to 167 Squadron (of 27 Group) and to 274 Squadron are not as disparate as one would imagine: both were Handley Page bomber squadrons.

After his sojourn at Norwich hospital the reference to 207 Squadron would be reasonably consistent with his previous service history: although a night bomber squadron it also flew Handley Page bombers.

Btw the Norfolk hospital reference and the mention of Bircham Newton should probably lead you to a casualty report somewhere for the incident. (There should be a reference elsewhere on his serviceman's record as to whether there's a Casualty Card or whether it was destroyed if blank).

The Shrewsbury EPD reference is to the Equipment & Personnel Depot. The 8 CW is the Cadet Wing, though I gather from your post that you'd already worked that one out. The DC at Halton Depot is the disposal/dispersal centre.

That's really great, thanks for the information. There's no reference to a casualty card on the Service Record.

Thanks once again.

Dave

The RAF Museum have put the surviving casualty cards online (free). Probably worth a search

Hi David.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've tried the RAF Museuem Casualty Card search but nothing shows up for him. I suppose he could have had an illness rather than a flying accident.

Dave

The RAF Museum have put the surviving casualty cards online (free). Probably worth a search

Thanks very much for this David, I didn't know about these being available online.

Here's the link for anyone who wants to search the Casualty card database:

RAF Museum Storyvault

• 2 weeks later...