Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte. William Bonner (No 9848) 2nd Batt Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

gortrush

My uncle William Bonner died in France on 4th Nov. 1914 and is buried in Bailleul Communal Cemetery, France. 'Ireland's Memorial Records' state that he was born in Camus, Co. Tyrone. I believe that his father, my great-grandfather was a James Bonner but I am having great difficulty finding info on William's origins. His brother Joseph (my grandfather also served with the Reg. No. 8474 later transferring to the Machine Gun Corps (No. 15247) on 22-01-1916.

I am trying to find their origins and can find no trace of them in the 1901 or 1911 census. Does anyone know where I might find their address at time of enlisting. William's medal card has a handwritten comment which looks like 'O I/C Recs requests auth to dispose of medals 19-04-1922' Does this indicate that his medals were never presented to the family? Would there have been any payment in lieu of his service pay or pension paid to his next of kin on his death and could this be a possible method of finding a home address for them? I know that Joseph, survived the war and married and lived in Omagh until his death in 1957. His address on the 1913 marriage cert is simply 'Soldiers Barracks, Omagh'