Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Struggling with soldier...

Candlemagic

Trying to find out a little more about Sergeant Archibald Scott.

I believe he was born in Monkwearmouth, Sunderland, but not sure of the date. He joined the Durham battalion of the Royal Garrison Artillery and his service number was 337185.

He was awarded a Military Medal at some point, but was killed in action on August 11, 1918.

I would love to find out where in Europe he served, how he won his medal and how he died. Sadly, I seem to be hitting a brick wall so far... Please, can anyone help? Thanks!

His MIC only gives his name rank and number serving with RGA There is no mention of a MM.

He was awarded British War Medal and Victory Medal which means he did not go overseas until after 1/1/16, But because of his 6 digit service number and that he is on a TF RGA Medal roll we can assume that he went overseas sometime after early 1917. when TF men were renumbered.

If you can find him on the RGA Medal Roll it may give some info as to which unit he was with.

His number would indicate enlisting at the start of Sept. 1915. His original number, before renumbering of the TF (Territorial Force), would have been between 730 and 732. His MM was published in the London Gazette on 17th Dec. 1917 when he was a Corporal, https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/30431/supplement/13194 . If you need detailed movements of the battery then you would need to obtain the war diaries.

Kevin