Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Help with LNLR soldier who died in Gustrow POW Camp.

tjp28blue

Hello,

Grateful for any help in unravelling the POW information found on the International Red Cross website.

Iam researching Pte George Peacock 8186, Loyal North Lancashire Regiment who was captured early in the war and transported to Gustrow POW camp in Mecklenburg, Germany where he died on the 29th December 1914. I cannot decipher the abbreviations given for Pte Peacock on the IRC website so grateful for any expertise in translating the following:

Gustrow Krchhf. Gflg. E.grab 47.

Ypres 30 X Gefangennahme

Gustrow (Feftung)

Beerdigt zu Gustrow

verst 29.12.14 im Gef.Lag Gustrow Lungenentz.

Beerdig unb Erk. Mrk. 8186. Ce N Lan R

I cannot make out any other POW camp in the above and wonder if he was wounded and then captured around Ypres and transported directly to Gustrow.

Regards tjp

Many thanks for your help

Hello tjp,

I am also looking into a soldier of 1 btn LNLR taken as POW and died in Cologne.

Your chap was in the same Regiment......

On 30 December 1914 the 1 Battalion Loyal North Lancashire Regiment is at

CAMBRIN.

So your chap was either wounded on the battlefield and then captured.... died of wounds

or was captured and given a damn good beating by the Germans and they killed him.

Cheers john

tjp,

I'm not going to even attempt to literally translate the German, but from what I can pick out and from his CWGC entry, it would appear that he died of pneumonia(?) on 29/12/14 at Gustrow and was originally buried in Grave 47 at the Gustrow PoW Cemetery. Post war his grave was concentrated into Hamburg Cemetery. The Ypres reference does refer to his capture, but I am not sure of the detail.

I can't see any specific reference to wounds (or beatings) in your transcription, nor hospitalisation.

Phil

John/Phil,

Many thanks for your help. I think Phil is right Pte Peacock must have been captured sometime before his death in the Gustrow POW Camp. He had to be transported there which I assume would have taken several days since it is some way from Ypres. He then died of pneumonia which may have taken sometime to become critical. So I reckon he was captured sometime between Mid September and early November 1914. The War Diary records serious losses during this period. There is an outside chance that it was mid December when the battalion lost close to 400 men, dead wounded or missing.

Many thanks once again.

tjp

tjp

Glad your managing to find more information

So if he had pneumonia, he could of had symptoms for up to a month.

Your mid September to November \ December seems plausible.

Where would he have been according to the war diary at time of capture ?

Cheers john

tjp,

Take a look at PA334. It appears to be part of a roll for Gustrow, dated 14th November. I think your man was captured at Ypres on 30th October (30 X).

If you have the war diary, it would be worth checking as there are quite a few Loyal North Lancs, spread across several pages.

Phil

Phil/John,

Thanks very much for your help and interesting information. Apologies to Phil, but could you give me a little more information on the whereabouts of PA334. I always have difficulty with National Archives references and have tried their catalogue with no success. Is it in the NA or elsewhere?

Regards tjp

tjp,

It is one of the International Committee of the Red Cross documents relating to George.

I still have it open, so hopefully this link will work, although you may have to scroll up or down to the correct page.

Phil

Phil,

Thanks very much. I have that file and agree that he must have been captured on 30th October 1914 and transported to Gustrow. Apparently this POW camp was new at the time and prisoners were housed in tents in freezing cold conditions throughout the winter and the food was not good. Suspect this was why he developed pneumonia. Hut were built in 1915 and conditions improved.

Regards,

tjp