Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Norfolk Regiment

David Seymour

I am preparing the Thetford Grammar School Remembrance Service for November 2003 which will feature former pupils and one school master who died serving in the Norfolk Regiment during the First World War. The individuals concerned were: Ashfield, Ernest B., Private, 29505, 1st Bn., died 23/4/17. Quick, Arthur Samuel James, Private, 43707, 8th Bn., died 5 /10/16. Steel, Stanley Joseph, Captain, 1st/4th Bn., died 18/6/18. Wilson, Gavain C.C., 43364, 1st Bn., died 4 /9/16. Woods , Victor Benjamin, Corporal, 43720, 3rd Bn., died 30/12/17. These battalions are mentioned by CWGC. I have also seen “Soldiers Died…”, and unit details as posted on 1914-1918.net. I am aware that the men may have transferred from one battalion to another during their service. I need to acquire as much information as possible about the units to build up a picture of the fate of these five men. Thank you for any help you can give.

David

I will be at the R.Norfolk Regimental Museum on Thursday next so will get whatever details there are in the Regimental Casualty Register about these men. Also have a good friend who is 'Mr 8th Battalion' so optimistic that there will be something about the 8th man. Will be in touch.

Chris Basey

Like all records, the Casualty Register for the Norfolk Regiment gives variable amounts of information for individual soldiers. Here is what I found in respect of four of your men:

ASHFIELD E.R. Killed in action 23 April 1917 – he was one of 22 of the 1st Bn who died on that day.

QUICK A.S. Killed in action 5 October 1916. It is believed that his Service Record is at PRO.

WILSON G.C. died of wounds 4 September 1916

WOODS V.B. ICT (either ‘injury caused to’ or ‘inflammation connecting tissue’) multiple, 16 Gen. Hospital Le Trepport 22 February 1917. Sick, 3rd Western General Hospital, Newport, Mons (Wales!) 1 March 1917. Missing believed drowned 30 December 1917 in loss of HS ‘Aragon’.

The sinking of the Aragon is mentioned in his CWGC entry and there is a photograph of the ship at:

http://www.spoulton.fsnet.co.uk/Photos/aragon.htm

Best wishes with the project.

Hi Chris

Do you have an address (snail or email) or a phone number for the Norfolk Regimental Museum, I want to know if they hold the 1st Battalions War Diary or have any information relating to dates 22nd September- 2nd October 1914.

Regards

Annette

David,

You may have already been there, but if not check out:

http://norlink.norfolk.gov.uk/cgi-bin/imag...h?enqtype=PHOTO

It is the search page for digital images at Norwich Library. Image NP00010621 is of Pte Arthur James Quick.

I did not find any of your other men there.

Regards,

Rob Carman.

Annette

I think the answer is 'yes' but will confirm on Thursday.

Chris and Rob,

Many thanks for all your efforts. Look forward to hearing further from you.

David