Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Driver RHA Percy Allen

Elfreida

My Great Uncle was a driver in the RHA, he came back from the war but died in the Brook War Hospital Shooters Hill Woolwich aged 18yrs in April 1919. I found his death cert by fluke, it states him as dying of bronchial pneumonia and influenza. It says his occupation was Driver RHA but in brackets (gas labourer).. His service number 282864 shows no records or medal records. I found a record of his death on the forces records.co.uk site but that is all. I have been to the National Archives and no records exist for him. I would like to try and find out when he joined up and which regiment he was in and where he might have seen action. Does anyone have any further ideas where I could look or have any other helpful hints and tips? Many thanks

Morning

Welcome to the Forum.

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/2758638/ALLEN,%20PERCY%20FREDERICK

http://warmemorials.hampshire.org.uk/IndexesWW1/places/places_t/Twyford.htm

I fear you may be struggling here if no service records exist.

I have looked at the medal rolls which show a persons entitlement to medal and can find no trace of him. This suggests that he did not serve overseas.

Regards,

Graeme

Hi Graeme thank you for responding so quickly to my question. I thought I might struggle to be honest. The family don't know much about what happened to him so I have no further clues I can give. Your post about not serving over seas is interesting. I thought he might have joined the war effort very late on in the conflict and perhaps was going through his training when he got ill. Not sure if that could be a reasonable conclusion? Best regards

Elfreida,

Welcome to the Forum.

His number would indicate joining the RHA Depot at Woolwich around March 11, 1919. Therefore all indications are he was still training when taken ill and did not serve overseas.