Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Cast Iron Sixth' - 6th Londons Regimental History

Jim Hastings

Hi All,

A couple of references online suggest that the Regimental History of the 6th Londons - 'Cast Iron Sixth' by Captain E G Godfrey - states that the 6th Londons adopted the Church of St James on St James Road, Croydon after the war, before moving onto St Sepulchre - without- Newgate. I wondered if a forum member who owns a copy of 'Cast Iron Sixth' would please confirm this for me, plus let me know if any reason is given for adopting St James' first?

I know men of the 2/4th and 3/4th Queen's were drafted to the 6th Londons (and other Londons units, including the 22nd) and were from a Croydon unit, but that seems a weak association.

Also, by WW1, were they still considered the 'Printers Battalion'?

Appreciate any time and effort spent on my behalf on this

All the best

Jim

Hi Jim

The book is available to read online. It is very slow to load and I got a couple of not responding messages but it does work

http://lib.militaryarchive.co.uk/library/infantry-histories/library/The-Cast-Iron-Sixth-A-History-of-the-6th-Battalion/HTML/index.asp#/1/

If you do get problems let me know as i do have a copy of this book somewhere

Likewise I too have a copy. Lovely book.

TT

Barkalotloudly/TT I would appreciate a look up if either of you wouldn't mind, the online version I found a little tricky

I assume it maybe somewhere near the end, before the Roll??

Many thanks Jim

Nothing in the book so far.... Sorry

TT

Thanks a lot for looking TT, I have been trying on the online link again too, but likewise without success ... will keep plodding

Appreciate your help

Jim

Hello Jim,

As noted above this a very slow download, and even once downloaded is very bothersome to manipulate.

I ran a search for 'Church of St. James' and came up with only a single reference.

p. 72 ....d Lens on the rise *The cross was installed in the Church of St. James, Croydon, by the padre, Rev. A.E. Wilkinson...

I have read both the actual p.72 of the book and the so-called p.72 in the page counter above the text (actual p. 42), but neither seems to correspond to the quoted reference. The asterisk suggests that this is possibly a footnote.

Plate 60 shows a memorial screen in a church (unnamed, I think); another plate shows a (from memory) Gaelic cross, erected in 1916 in France to mark the spot where the 47th Divn. fell on the Somme (I think); perhaps this is the cross referred to above. I accidentally closed the link, hence all of my qualified info. from memory.

It doesn't answer your OP, but I hope that it helps.

Best regards,

JMB

I think you will have to read a hard-copy to be sure !!

Jim,

An update to my previous post. Downloaded again......but cannot save.

See p.45 in printed book (p.75 on page-counter on-line),....it was a small wooden cross (made/painted by 2 x Riflemen)to mark the burial place of almost 90 killed in the capture of Loos on Sept. 25th, 1915.

FOOTNOTE....the padre, Rev. A.E.W,. "and annually a memorial service is held in that church and attended by members of the Old Comrades' Association."

Plate 60 The Memorial Screen was installed in their drill-hall in Morden. You have probably passed that by now and then !!!

Regards,

JMB

Hi JMB

Thank you so much for taking the time and effort to sift through the online copy, intriguing, especially the Morden drill hall, must look into that, I thought they were wholly Farringdon based.

Hope all well

Jim