Rifle brigade

JudeR

Medal index card

WILLIAMSON, Noel Rifle Bde. ote Z1406

There is a stamp stating medal, roll, page

Then underneath is says 'Discharged'

Theatre of war (1) France

Qualifying date 24.2.15

But then i find online on Casualy list, there he is same service nunber, same regiment

Wounded 16th September 1916

I DONT UNDERSTAND. If you are discharged in in 1915 how you get wounded in 1916

Anyone clarify please?

Z/1406 Noel Williamson enlisted on 2nd September 1914 (1), served with the 3rd Battalion of the Rifle Brigade (2) in France and Flanders from 24th February 1915 (3). He was discharged on 6th March 1919 (1) under Paragraph 392 xvia (no longer fit for service) and issued Silver War Badge No. 507218 (1)

Steve.

Sources:

(1) Silver War Badge Roll

(2) British War Medal and Victory Medal Roll

(3) Medal index card and 1914-15 Star Roll

Thank you so much! To survive 5yrs incredible. (He's my great uncle). As you were replying i was adding a request for some to find any thing else about his service in the rifles - should i cancel that do you think or will there be anything else? Someone once told me that a 'Z' attached to a service number meant they'd already served in army before WW1 (is that true?)

Steve really pleased with info you hv been able to give me

Regards Jude

Thanks Heather...so Z was for men enlisting for 1year as a special reservist or men enlisting for 3yr short service.

He was in 5 years so not short service or special reservist...

Jude - he might well have enlisted on one of those terms. In fact "short service" enlistment from 1914 appears to have been "three years or the duration of the war" - remember they didn't expect it to go on for as long as it actually did! See here http://www.1914-1918.net/recruitment.htm

Jude - I didn't cancel anything. I just pointed out we already had one thread running on this man so that others wouldn't use it to answer the questions already answered here. We do tend to find that if there are two threads some people don't realise it and so you get all the information repeated - best to stick to one! A Moderator / Admin will have locked it for just that reason and it's best if you just ask any further questions in here. :)

I think you need to say what it is you still expect to find at Kew maybe? You can search the National Archives catalogue to see if anything else exists for him, but as service records are available online (Ancestry or Find my Past paid subscriptions) I suspect someone would have said by now if he has a surviving record. One thing you might find interesting from Kew is the War Diary for his Battalion. You can download that for a small charge.

JudeR

Not so small a charge if you want to see it all ! The Diary has been segmented and each segment costs £3.30. This page shows the period covered by the Diaries. If you click on the green box "Go to Browse" you will see seven segments and their references down the right side of the screen. Click on details with each segment.You then click on the ones you want individually and I guess they go into a shopping basket !

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C4555357

Hi Jude

I recently found out that my great - grandfather's brother (see signature) served in the 3 RB from 1914 to 1916 before being transferred. I have the WD and officer's memoirs which I've downloaded at the recommendation of some of the very knowledgable Pals here. If you PM me I'm sure I can help..