Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

238006 Lascelles Atkinson North. West Riding Regt.

david west

I have in my collection a Victory medal that belonged to a 238006 Cpl L.A. North of the West Riding Regt. I believe his name was Lascelles Atkinson North (unusual name). I was wondering what the experts could dig up about this soldier, which Battalion he served with, enlistment date etc ?

Thanks,

David

Can't help with military but - Lascelles Atkinson North born March Quarter 1891 in Halifax.

Lascelles A. North married Lena Longbottom in June Q 1918 in Halifax.

There seems to have been 3 children - Fred b.1920, Betty b.1931 and Audrey b.1935 all in Halifax (Mother's name Longbottom)

Ken

His medal card at the national archives has LARCELLES A. NORTH, Private 3229 and Corporal 238006 West Riding Regt. I think that makes it a Territorial Battalion????

Ken

Your man first landed in a war zone with 1/4 Battalion DOW's Own West Riding Regiment on 14 April 1915. They were shortly afterwards part of 147 Infantry Brigade of 49 Division.

His second number 238006 was for the same Battalion,but due to a re-numbering of the Territorial Force in 1917. You can look at the activity of 49 Division here:

http://www.1914-1918.net/49div.htm

There are lots of War Diary segments available,carefully crafted to relieve you of your money,at:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C4555950

Thanks Ken & Sotonmate, great work.

Cheers.

David

Medal Roll shows

1914-15 Star disembarked 14 Apr 1915 - disemd Class Z 1 Feb 1919

British War and Victory - 238006 - formerly 3228 West Reid Regt, formerly Cpl 1/4th W R Regt, and 2/4th W Rid Regt.

Stuart

Thanks Stuart.....

Cheers.

David