The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

18th Casualty Clearing Station

tjp28blue

Hello,

Grateful if anyone has any information on the 18th Casualty Clearing Station. I think it was a Canadian Infantry station close to Lapugnoy, North West of Arras. The soldier I am researching, Private Harold Budd, 164431 75th Battalion Canadian Infantry, died here from lobar pneumonia on the 17th November 1917 and is buried in Lapugnoy Military Cemetery.

Any information will be gratefully received.

Regards,

tjp

tjp

18 CCS was a British 2nd Army facility and was based at Lapugnoy from Aug 1915 to Mar 1918. There are unfortunately no Admission and Discharge Registers surviving today.

The unit War Diary is available at Kew but is not yet digital,ref :

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7349790

and some of these Diaires have worthwhile info on individuals but some merely give daily balances of casualties in,under treatment, and out,but no names.

I think this fellow actually died in January of 1917 rather than November. The 75th Battalion as part of the 4th Canadian Division had just joined the resdt of the Canadian Corps facing the Vimy Ridge near Arras. I am attempting to attach snippets with some details of the casualty evacuation system in place at this time.

If you want more information on Harold Budd, you are in luck! The Canadian Archives are digitizing the service records of Great War soldiers. Progress is slow, but I noticed that those with surnames "Bu**" appeared a couple of days ago. You can see your fellow's file here:

http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/first-world-war/first-world-war-1914-1918-cef/Pages/list.aspx?k=RegimentNum%3a%22164431%22

post-75-0-70227600-1417297040_thumb.jpg

post-75-0-58986900-1417297154_thumb.jpg

Hello,

Thank you JHill and Sotonmate for your replies and very useful information. I apologise for the typo I should have written 17th January 1917, not November. I got the info about Pte Budd dying of pneumonia from the newly published data from the Canadian Archives (I have been waiting over a year for the digitisation). Until I saw this I was trying to figure out how he was killed in action as stated in the Roll of Honour for our village.

Many thanks once again

tjp