Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ten Days in August – the Siege of Liege 1914– Zuber

joerookery

Has anyone else read this? I started a review but it was so negative that I had to question my objectivity. I think a study on the subject in the English language is long overdue. Just not sure this is it. Mr. Zuber and I do not have the same appreciation of operational matters. Anyone else's thoughts?

The very name Zuber unleashes controversy and sometimes antagonism.

I get the impression that his work exhibits a degree of what we call " confirmation bias".

That said, I'm pleased I've encountered his books. I browsed through his study of the Ardennes, and I bought his book on Mons. Some of what he states makes me recoil ; some of it deserves credit.

I will probably not buy any more of hs books, but I would like to read what he has to say about Liege.

Phil (PJA)

but I would like to read what he has to say about Liege.

I looked forward to… But it did not deliver. The bias was evident and ranged between irritating and ignoring it. The problem that I had was in the conclusions and sources. He did not clarify what I think is a little bit murky German chain of command. He relies heavily upon regimental histories and less than balanced "war stories". He is not kind to Belgium. The analysis just leaves you shaking your head. He never really lays out the operational requirement. He has demonstrated a repeated lack of understanding of the German cavalry organization. I don't think this will sell as well.