Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal Rolls.

Yes, the roll and his Medal Index Card are on Ancestry - as is this from Soldiers Died in the Great War:

Name: Frank Taylor

Birth Place: Blackburn, Lancs

Residence: Blackburn

Death Date: 12 Jan 1915

Death Place: France and Flanders

Enlistment Place: Warrington

Regiment: The King's (Liverpool) Regiment

Battalion: 1st Battalion

Regimental Number: 9037

Type of Casualty: Killed in action

Theatre of War: Western European Theatre

He's an Old Contemptible - Date of entry 12th August 1914.

Mike

His medal roll entry is on Ancestry . Nothing to add that hasn't been posted above .

What were you looking for ?

I seem to have hit a dead end in my research on Frank Taylor/ Fred Bates. Trying to find some information that I didn't previously have. There is a possibility he could have been in India in 1912. But it seems following his service in France that I have hit a dead end. I was hoping to find a place of enlistment to try and look though some of the newspapers reporting his death but no luck so far.

Confused me further :wacko: who is Fred Bates ?

Langdon above has shown enlistment place for Taylor as Warrington and birth place as Blackburn.

He appears in 1911 census as a 24 year old Private in 2nd Kings in barracks in India.

He has two names, having enlisted under the alias of Frank Taylor.

There are two threads going on here at the moment.

BATES, FRED
Service No: 9037
Date of Death: 12/01/1915
Regiment/Service: The King's (Liverpool Regiment) 1st Bn.
Grave Reference: I. F. 21.
Cemetery: LE TOURET MILITARY CEMETERY, RICHEBOURG-L'AVOUE
Additional Information: (Served as TAYLOR). Son of William and Ellen Bates, of Blackburn.

Micah - To avoid further confusion edit and tag your post with " Frank Taylor alias Fred Bates " or let Admin combine the two using their magic powers :thumbsup::huh:

Hello,

Wondering if an admit could combine my thread. Sorry I thought asking about newspaper reports would be entirely inappropriate here. Thanks for your help an sorry for confusing you all I am just as confused.

Fred Bates alias Frank Taylor was killed in January 1915 but I have lost all track of where to take my research with Frank.

Wow I spent ages on Ancestory searching for the census and couldn't find a thing. Sorry I usually get all the basic information. But this seems to be rather odd. I did rely about Frank on another thead from years ago.

His grave in France now says Fred Bates.

I wounderd if anyone had any advice for taking this further.

I'm not clear what it is that you are looking for. If it's more information on the 1st Battalion you could download the war diaries covering 1915 here. There's also a diary covering 1914 (WO 95/1359/1). You should have sufficient information to search censuses for family history.

Let us know what information you are looking for and we can go from there.

Mike

He appears in 1911 census as a 24 year old Private in 2nd Kings in barracks in India.

For general information see the FIBIS Fibiwiki page 8th Regiment of Foot

http://wiki.fibis.org/index.php/8th_Regiment_of_Foot.

There is information about the Museum of Liverpool. The Museum may well hold photographs taken in India at the time Fred Taylor/Bates was there, if you are interested in photographs generally, but probably wouldn't have any biographical information, unless there are regimental journals, which often have much information.

Cheers

Maureen

Is there anyway I can find out about Frank Taylors pre war service ?

I seem to have reached a dead end with my research. I have some of the war diaries for the dates he was killed which state

Jan 12th 1915:

Quiet night. Went down to Brigade office in morning. Germans have built a breastwork in front of our right trenches about 80 yards away with idea of opening with maxims on our working parties. Got Howitzers to shell it. They blew it to pieces, it was a fine sight. These were the 6 in. siege howitzers. Carried out relief with 2 casualties, water in trenches has fallen slightly. First fine day for weeks.

It seems Frank was killed possibly by a machine gun (Would I be right in stating this) but apart from this all I know is that Frank was buried and his grave is now that of Fred Bates his parents changed his name back to his original name).

I don't know where to research about Frank in detail. I cannot seem to dig deeper into the life of Frank. I cannot find what he did pre war (apart from being a soldier). I cannot find much about his wartime experiences. I have his medal card and now his MIC.

I wondered what approaches or steps you guys would take ? Maybe I expect a little too much after digging up so much information about my great grandfather.

Did you see that he was a 13-year old cotton weaver in the 1901 census?

Possible enlistment dates of 1904/5 when he was c. 17/18 years old here at the excellent Army Service Numbers blogspot.....

The Silver War Badge records at Ancestry have 1914 enlistment dates for 9046, 9038 and 9034, but 9021 and 9011 are in October 1904.

For further research I'd investigate the 1st Battalion in the pre-WW1 years and follow the advice on the other thread about local newspapers, armed with what you've got so far..

Mike

Thank you Langdon. I really do not understand how I missed all this information.

I had a bad time with the newspapers i'm afraid nothing would load so I have contacted them to look at solutions hopefully a refund.

I think maybe I was looking down the wrong road a little. My Great Grandfather was the Mayor of Blackburn Luke Bates it was his brother who was killed. I think maybe the family legends may have something to do with confusing me. As I heard that a number of these relatives went to Australia (My granddad would tell me they were killed on HMS Sidney during WW1 but I could never find any information about them).

I will get onto researching the battalion pre-WW1 years.

Thank you again and sorry for being confusing.