Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

7340 Pte. Leslie H. Childs 2nd Yorkshire / 5th Connaught Rangers

paulkennedy

I recently purchased a trio to Leslie H Childs. His service number was 7340. He arrived in France on March 20, 1015 with the 2nd Yorkshire Regiment.

Somewhere he transferred to the 5th Connaught Rangers with the service number 8024. Unfortunately, his service record is not on Find My Past.

My question is this: Can you tell when he transferred regiments based on the 8024 service number?

Thank you,

Paul

Paul

Sometimes you get a clue from the Silver War Badge Lists as they show a date of enlistment to a service number. It may be that the date is for initial enlist with another unit,that is the main snag.

In this case most of the numbers around 8024 are for 1903 !! There are a couple though which may be of some guidance:

8046 = 12.12.1915 and there are two others which are 8078 = 7.5.1917 and 8115 = 30.5.1917. Maybe they re-used numbers which were vacant due to discharge or death ?

My instinctive estimate here would be around 1917.

I was looking at the SWB lists too - and the 1903 dates did put me off!

But there were two - 3/8014 19.02.17 and 3/8020 30.03.17 which may tally with sotonmate's 1917 instinct (if not exclusively 3rd battalion..)

Mike

Hello Paul

Have looked on Ancestry and he is on the medal cards, arriving in France as you say, entitled to 14/15 star and the other two medals. But no pension or service records so don't know when he moved over. Generally, if the records are not shown in ancestry, then they were destroyed in WW11.

Sorry, not too much info.

Regards. Mike

Hi,

The nearest I can get is the regimental number 8343 issued 1916 Apr 16 in the 5th Battalion

Regards Mark

There is a Private Leslie Henry Childs on the 1911 Census serving with the 3rd Reserve Battalion Yorkshire Regiment at Richmond Yorkshire, aged 18 and born Deal, Kent.

Regards Mark

Thank you Mark! I found the 1911 Census information and his medal rolls on Ancestry. I'm just trying to establish when he transferred from the 2nd Yorkshire Regiment to 5th Connaught Rangers, so I can follow where he fought. The comparable number (8343) helps a lot.

I don't know if this would be considered evidence, but April 1918 was the only time the 5th and 1st battalions were in the same country (Egypt).

On April 3, 1918 the 1st sailed from Kuwait to Egypt on its way to Palestine, and the 5th left Port Said on April 30 for France.