Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

£2 Commemorative coin

MikeyH

Was pleasantly surprised to find in some change today, a £2 coin bearing 'The First World War 1914-1918' and the well known image of Lord Kitchener's pointing finger and 'Your country needs YOU'. Seem to remember a Royal Mint ad. much earlier in the year offering uncirculated examples at £10.

How long have these been in circulation, have any other GWF chums encountered them?

Mike.

Not yet. However I did see a note in a newspaper the other day which said that a Belgian 2 euro piece, also made in two metals, was the only euro to commemorate the Great War.

Old Tom

MikeyH

The Royal Mint website says that they will be issued in "late December". The cost will be £10 each plus £3-00 postage and packing.

TR

I bought a couple of these for my kid nephews. This is the first one of a series. But I didn't know they were going to go into general circulation - I'm sure the nephews won't appreciate them now. :angry2:

I hadn't seen a Kitchener £2 in circulation till this week, a few months ago I purchased one of the WW1 limited edition £20 silver commemorative coins from the Royal Mint.

• 1 month later...

There's a Navy commemorative £2 due out somewhen soon - but I've forgotten my source for that piece of information.

I ordered my 'Kitchener' £2 from the Royal Mint (£10 = p&p) at the beginning of December and it only arrived today. Had I lived in Northamptonshire like Mike I could have waited to get it in change today! :whistle:

Anne

Anne,

I found another one in my change, possibly from the local Post Office around 10 days before Christmas.

Mike.

Sod's law I guess Mike, since I have not come across one until mine was delivered today.

Anne

My lad found one in his change, not sure how or why he noticed but he kept and gave to me. He has but a passing interest but my influence must be settting in. Maybe........