Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

J H Appleby

zephyr4

Can anyone help with any information on Pte J H Appleby Seaforth Highlanders 1914-15 star numbered 2918 victory and bwm numbered 200759.

Thanks for any help z4.

MIC and the medal rolls show John H Appleby. Private 2918 Seaforth Highlanders Entered theatre (F&F) 13/03/15.

Another (separate) MIC shows - John Henry Appleby. Private 200759 Seaforth Highlanders and then Grenadier Guards Private 36547.

The medal roll for this indicates 1/4th Seaforths.

For some reason there are two MICs - one with the 1915 star and the other with the BWM and VM. I did wonder if they were in fact the same man but I think they are.

Bob.

He served with the 4th Seaforth in France, and was a member of the 2nd draft of reinforcements to reach the battalion (arriving in France shortly before Neuve Chapelle). He was posted to 'B' Company, and was reported as being wounded at the battle of Aubers Ridge on 12th May 1915.

Home address; 51 Forbes Street, West Gorton.

Ref; 'Rosshire Roll of Honour' (Souter)

His pension record is available on Ancestry - 18 pages.

Bob.

He was probably Home Guard or ARP during WW2. Strange to see the ribbon alone at the end of the medal bar. Maybe he got the ribbon first and received the medal later, and never got round to adding it to the group. I've certainly come across lots of WW1 groups in which the WW2 medal(s) remained in their boxes.

If my relatives' experiences are anything to go by, WW2 medals took an age to arrive. I think my father had just about given up when his suddenly popped through the letter box!