Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RNR service record Help Please

Ullinish

Hello,
This is my first post on the forum. I have just downloaded my Gt. Uncles service record from the NA and I am a bit stuck. He has the following ships listed but I cannot find out anything about them-
Victory, President III, Excellent and also what looks like Calgowan. Can anyone tell me more about these ships or what I should be looking out for in his service records? His name was Neil Campbell and it states on his records that he was a Lobster and Line Fisherman.
Can anyone point me in the direction of a book or website which will tell me more about the RNR?
I look forward to hearing from anyone who can help.
Many thanks.

You can google the ships names you may find that at least one is a shore based depot.

Same again for RNR which will probably bring up some topics on here.

Some of the 'Navy' members will give you more info than me when they come along.

HMS VICTORY - Barracks, pay/admin office and parent ship at Portsmouth. HMS PRESIDENT III - Pay/admin office for men serving in Defensively Armed Merchant Ships (DAMS). HMS EXCELLENT - Gunnery School, Whale Island, Portsmouth (often the training school for men who were later drafted to DAMS). "Calgowan" - could it be HMS CALGARI AN - Armed Merchant Cruiser)?

Looking at my Gt. Uncles record again, it appears to be Calgarian. I've discovered that she was sunk by the U-boat U-19 off Rathlin Island, Northern Ireland on 1 March 1918. She was hit by 4 torpedoes and quickly sank with the loss of two officers and 47 ratings. My Gt-Uncle was on the Calgarian on the day she was sunk. Luckily he survived. Thanks for your help

Hello again,
I have another couple of quick questions. Would he have had any sort of uniform to wear? Also, only one ocean going vessel is listed on his service record, does this mean that he only served at sea once, or would he have also served on smaller ships as well, that have not been listed? I have noticed that DAMS is mentioned on his service record.
Thank you all once again for taking the time to answer my questions.

He would have worn the appropriate uniform of a naval rating while serving in CALGARIAN. The merchant ships (DAMS) in which he served are probably not listed and cannot now be determined. I believe uniform regulations were somewhat relaxed when serving in DAMS alongside a mercantile marine crew.