Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private John Mungall

marsh1n

I'm researching my great uncle, his name is John Mungall of the Royal Scots 2nd Batt, his service number is 2889, he died on the 23rd July 1916 aged 17 and is rememberd on the Thiepval memorial, I've traced his familly history and he was born in Leith, his mother and father died when he was 8....all in all a very sad story. I am struggling to find out any history on his army career, ie when he joined, which battles he was in and where he met his end, any advice would be much appreciated.

Regards

Neil.

Welcome Neil

There is a Medal Index Card on Ancestry Pte. J. Mungall 2889 2nd Royal Scots. He went to France 28/11/1914. So he went aged 15yrs.?

His service record is not available.

If you go to Long Long Trail, top left of this page it gives help on how to research a soldier.

If the war diary is available from The National Archives it will give details of where his battalion was until the time of his death.

If his name is on Thiepval Memorial it indicates that if he was buried the grave was lost during subsequent fighting. If you look on CWGC site there may be some more info on the register docs.

Thanks for the reply, I thought as his service number was low and he might have enlisted early, my youngest is fifteen so it brings it home and it doesnt bear thinking about. i'll follow your advice for further research

Many thanks,

Neil.

Thanks, I've now downloaded the will and as per your previous email I've now got the 2nd batt war diaries and his medal index card.

The action was pretty intense around the time of his death, They give an account of the battalians movements and day to day activities...reading between the lines you can see the conflict escalating as each day/month passes.

I've got a copy of his birth certificate and he was born 3/9/1898, The medal card indicates he qualified for the medals from 28/11/14, I take this is the date he went to France...so he must have enlisted on or about his birthday. Regarding the diaries, with all the programs on TV etc, its very easy to envisage what they went through....very brave men.