Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

30588 Pte William H Hutchinson Yorkshire Regt and 435327 Pte Labour Co

Chris Best

Good evening, Gents

I'm trying to helping a local make sense of their GF's war service.

The detail shown in the title line is as shown on the man's MIC. The numbers also match those (I'm told - I haven't seen them yet) those on his VM and BWM. His medal roll entry shown on the MIC is LC/101/B15916172.

The man's name was actually William Moralee Hutchinson and he survived his war. He hailed from the Swaledale (around Keld I believe) and might, therefore, have enlisted in Reeth or in Kirby Stephen. I searched through the Service Records but couldn't pick up a match.

Might any Yorkshire Regiment man be able to bracket Pte Hutchinson's enlistment/conscription?

Likewise, might any Labour Corps expert be able to bracket a probable date of transfer?

Many thanks

Chris

Phil, Many thanks for that. How do you rate the book overall, over and above this very useful information dating transfers into the LC?

Chris

Chris,

If you have an interest in the Labour Corps, it is a good, solid reference book. I read it cover to cover when I first got it. Now it sits alongside Michael Young's ASC history, within easy reach. It covers all theatres and types of company. When you think that there are virtually no Company level war diaries for the LC, all credit to the authors for their research.

Phil

Thanks, Phil

I know very little about the Labour Corps, save that it would seem a great many soldiers found themselves transferred into it and thus, in all probability, to a harder way of life.

I'll leave title and author scribbled on a piece of paper and wait . . . and hope . . . and if no hint's taken, I'll scoot off on independent ops.

Cheers

Chris