Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

PoW Interviews and Reports

AnnMcD

Are copies of interviews with returning PoWs still held by The National Archives even if it says "report not printed" when I search on a name?

Ann

• 2 weeks later...

Yes that's how I found the reference. I've found the full report by one of the men I'm interested in but so far all the others appear on a schedule of names under "report not printed" hence the question. Two of them, Edgar Garland and Herbert Frederick Spence were at Holzminden; the latter for not very long, I think, and Edgar was involved in the escape. I'm simply curious to see what they wrote.

Ann

Are copies of interviews with returning PoWs still held by The National Archives even if it says "report not printed" when I search on a name?

The short answer is No. I understand that the original interviews were all destroyed shortly after the official reports were produced. Having said that, a very small number of otherwise unprinted transcripts or extracts of transcripts DO exist in some of either the FO or HO series at TNA (I can't remember which series, maybe FO363, but we're talking about a very large series of files with only a very general index and which hasn't yet been digitized). I'd estimate the chances of you turning up something to be very very small indeed.