Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sergeant Harry G Light

nikki1307

Am looking for information on my great grandfather. This is what I have so far:

Regiment or Corps: Queen's (Royal West Surrey) 8th Battalion.

Regiment, Regimental Number: S/971

POW: sent to Holland

Any help would be appreciated

Nikki

As you may know his details are on Ancestry - Harry George Light, date of entry 31.08.15. Demobilised to Class Z reserve 13.05.19 - as explained on the Long, Long Trail website (search 'Class Z'):

Soldiers who were being demobilised, particularly those who had agreed to serve “for the duration”, were at first posted to Class Z. They returned to civilian life but with an obligation to return if called upon.

He is on the ICRC Prisoners of the First World War site here. Apart from his main index card (which shows the date of capture - 26.09.15) there are ref. numbers beginning with PA which show more details. Go to Examples of Index cards and then to Cards of a British Serviceman and put in the PA numbers there.

Mike

Hello,

Harry George Light also has 2 service records on the 'Find My Past' site. He joined the 4th (Militia) Bn East Surrey Regiment in 1895 and then signed up for the RW Surrey Regiment in 1896 serving in India and on the NW Frontier campaign before leaving the army in 1907. (I presume this is the same man from Chertsey in Surrey)

Mick.

Harry has several cards on the (free) ICRC (International Committee of the Red Cross) website - the ICRC acted as the neutral middle-man in communications between the enemy nations in regard to POWs.

http://grandeguerre.icrc.org/en/File/Details/4478521/3/2/

If you type the numbers into the box on the right of the linked webpage then you will see lists he appears on in his POW camp(s). You will need to make sure the prefix is PA/ or R/ as appropriate.

By card number the camps look like Munster 2 (two lists), Minden (several pages up on the header) and then Soltau. Then interned in Holland in June 1918 and repatriated to Hull in November 1918.

Steve.

• 2 weeks later...

Mick am not sure this is my guy as he was born in 1879 making him 16 in 1895?? Does it have anymore information?

Nikki

Hello Nikki,

sorry for taking so long to reply as I missed your post.

The Harry George Light I found the record for was born in 1877/1878 in Chertsey, Surrey and enlisted in 1895. Not your man then but possibly a relative ?

Mick.