Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Lt Cyril Arthur Ernest Davis

wpf1958

I am researching 2nd Lt Cyril Arthur Ernest Davis who died on Tuesday 31st July 1917 serving with A Battery, 18th Brigade. I know that he went up to Fitzwilliam Hall, Cambridge in 1914 to 1917 and that he is commemorated on Chesterton War Memorial and Cambridge Guildhall War Memorial.

Sadly Fitzwilliam Hall has no information either.

Can anyone provide any further information.

Wilhelm

Hi

His service records is here

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?discoveryCustomSearch=true&_q=Cyril+Arthur+Ernest+Davis&_cr1=WO+339&_cr2=WO+374&_hb=tna&hdnsorttype=Reference&image1.x=53&image1.y=12&image1=GO

But is not downloadable. can be viewed at the NA. Not much good to you in Belgium BUT you may persuade someone to have a look

Regards,

Graeme

Looking for the war diaries I noticed that the 108th Brigade RFA became an Army Brigade in early 1917 - the war diaries end 31st December 1916 - and then I came across this previous thread which may be of interest..

Mike

Wilhelm

The war diary mentions three officers wounded and '... that 2Lt C A E Davies was killed. The latter had just emerged from a dugout in the Vinery when a shell burst in the trench, killing him instantly.'

This was in the area of Potijze and Wieltje.

Kind regards

Colin

Wilhelm

The war diary mentions three wounded officers and; '... that 2Lt C A E Davies was killed. The latter had just emerged from a dugout in the Vinery when a shell burst in the trench killing him instantly...'

This was near Potijze and Wieltje.

Kind regards

Colin

Thanks to everyone in helping me move forward, I really am most grateful.

I love living in Belgium but on many occasions I wish the National Archives were easy for me to get to!

Best wishes

Wilhelm