Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Canadian mothers cross ribbon

ralphjd

Just purchased a Canadian mothers cross (always wanted one) but on reading up on the cross , the web site states that the ribbon was 1.5 in wide, all the ones I have looked at including the one just received the ribbon is 5/8in wide. Is the web site information incorrect ? Just wondering. The next job is to persuade the good lady that the purchase of a WW1 SMLE is of paramount importance . Ralph

Just purchased a Canadian mothers cross (always wanted one) but on reading up on the cross , the web site states that the ribbon was 1.5 in wide, all the ones I have looked at including the one just received the ribbon is 5/8in wide. Is the web site information incorrect ? Just wondering. The next job is to persuade the good lady that the purchase of a WW1 SMLE is of paramount importance . Ralph

My copy of Medal Yearbook 1999 gives - "Three versions of the cross exist: the original, with GVR cypher (1914-1919), with GVIR cypher and ring suspension (1940-45), and GVIR cypher with suspension bar (1945- )."

Ribbon is listed as "Violet 11mm (ring suspension), 32mm (bar suspension)" - so a correct WW1 example should have an 11mm ribbon for it's ring suspender.

Thanks Andrew just slightly wider than 11mm but the seller did say it was a replacement ribbon, so I can live with that, the cross is original in its original box. Ralph.

Thanks Andrew just slightly wider than 11mm but the seller did say it was a replacement ribbon, so I can live with that, the cross is original in its original box. Ralph.

could I be so bold as to ask who it was issued to

thanks Bob R.

Certainly , issued to 22997 Gerald W Finch. Ralph.

thank you, always looking for possible connections to my medal collection\

regards

Bob

Gerald Finch died 8-6-20 at Prince of Wales Hospital Montreal PQ.

Here is the link to his veterans death record at the LAC. He was one of the many who died as a result of lung issues in the short time after tthe end of the war. http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/microform-digitization/006003-119.01-e.php?PHPSESSID=p6vaqcu6g9ecpd5cr13capuov6&sqn=318&q2=36&q3=2869&tt=1190