The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sherwood Foresters at Gallipoli

RichHutchings

Hi,

I'm trying to do some research into my families involvement in the war. I've managed to find my Great Uncle Frank's attestation in the 4th Bn.Sherwood Foresters.

From the stories he told in his later years, he was apparently torpedoed three seperate times at Gallipoli, but I was wondering, would anyone have any information about this particular battallion and the events they participated in?

Many thanks in advance, and the kindest of regards,

Rich

The only Sherwood Forester battalion at Gallipoli was the 9th (Service) Battalion. GWF member Steve Morse is the expert on this battalion having written the definitive book on it. Clearly your great uncle frank was a Special Reservist (4th Battalion was an Extra Rserve Battalion) and would have been posted to the 9th Battalion at some stage - this might be shown on the pages of his service record.

Morning Rich

There must be other papers, the 4th was a Reserve battalion, the 9th were at Gallipoli

See LLT (top left)

3rd (Reserve) and 4th (Extra Reserve) Battalions

August 1914 : in Derby. Both depot/training units, they moved to Plymouth and Sunderland respectively in August 1914. 3rd also moved there in May 1915. Both remained at Sunderland as part of Tyne Garrison.

Regards,

Graeme

That's great thank you, I'm currently in the process of trying to get his service record.

Regards,

Rich

Very interestingl, I've just discovered after cross referencing his birth certificate and entry on the 1911 census, that where he gives his age on the document above as 19, he was in fact only 16.

Rich, you have page 1 of his papers. If you go to page 2, at the bottom of the page, it tells us he was discharged on 1 Feb 1915 due to a 'misstatement of age'.

It doesn't seem as if he ever left the country (no further notes on any service in following pages) at any time. Unless you have other evidence?

Kim, where did you find page 2 of this?

On Ancestry. Along with maybe another half dozen pages.

I shall find page two for you and post it here momentarily.

No record of that number and name on Medal rolls or my nominal roll.

9th battalion went to Gallipoli in July, so he was already out by then. Unless he re-enlisted somehow - possible I suppose.

No record of ship with any 9th battalion, being torpedoed near Gallipoli. Also 'at Gallipoli' - Gallipoli is a peninsular (land)

If you do find anything else, I can let you know about the 9th battalion. The only other battalion anywhere near was 1st Garrison battalion based in Egypt.

Steve M