Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

POW camp at Guilsborough Northants

robmcn

I am trying to find out any details about a POW camp that existed at Guilsborough
Northants where I believe my Grandfather, who was a private in the Irish Guards,
saw out the remainder of his military service.
Does anyone know of any resources that may be available to me ?

• 2 weeks later...

I would try the County Records Office as a first stab. Was your Grandfather transferred to the Royal Defence Corps from the Guards, as they tended to do these duties?

Good hunting,

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

just an update on my original post:-

I have now found out from a local history book ' The records of Guilsborough, Nortoft and Hollowell' that the German POWs and their Guards were quartered in the old grammer school in Guilsborough and that they were employed by Northampton Corporation in laying pipes in the Stowe brook valley for what was to become Hollowell Reservoir

Cheers Rob

• 4 weeks later...

Friends, can anyone tell me if there is a list somewhere that has the names of POW's. Also has anyone ever heard of POW's getting any kind of an education benefit. The man was John Leo Goodman, he was in the Army Engineer Corps. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Kathleen

Rob

I think Belgian refugees were housed in the school buildings earlier in the war.

Kate

I have a couple examples of men on held captive on both sides taking educational qualifications. The civilians of Ruhleben Camp, which was awash with intellectuals, tutored an array of subjects, and official examinations were undertaken. Here in England, the POW camp at Spalding held two musicians who were captured early in the war; thus the three years that Karl Laux was imprisoned were not entirely wasted, as he continued his studies with musicologist Friedrich Blume.

:o I don't think I made myself quite clear. Apparently this person was supposed to have had his education free as a result of being a POW. Something like the GI Bill after WW2. I always wondered about this. As the information was hearsay and not checked.

Kathleen

• 13 years later...