Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Publications

armourersergeant

Can anyone suggest what if any monthly/weekly or periodical magazines they subscribe to that covers the great war or resaerching ancesters that they find useful or even just interesting.

Hey here's an idea how about we have an on line monthly or quarterly magazine contributed to by the forum members vetted by a in house publishing team, I know probably too involved or complicated but its just a suggestion. We could have write ups on battles or recent soldiers researched . Trips you have been on etc...so on so on so on.......

Just a thought probably to involved?

Arm.

The thrice yearly WFA journal STAND TO is still just about worth the membership fee - although I was a little disappointed with the last issue.

"The Great War", in its own words the little magazine dedicated to the Great War. Its a quarterly for £10.99 per annum - UK and £18.99 for overseas & BFPO. Any reader can submit an actical on any subject to do with the Great War.

Guest lesley

Great War Magazine, as Annette said - soon to go bi monthly - in Sept I think. Once a year they also publish a special magazine with the articles they couldn't fit into the regular one.

Each magazine asks for contributions, they even offer a information sheet on how to get an article accepted!

Would agree with Signals that the last "Stand To" was a bit "flat". The WFA should give close attention to this since ST is the cement that keeps the organisation together. If it becomes anything less than a "Must read" , the WFA will inevitably decline.

I would very agree with Annette and Lesley about The Great War magazine. I think the annual 'special' has now been abandoned with the change to bi-monthly .

The fact that two submissions of mine have already been included, (with a further piece, hopefully, to appear in the September issue) has no influence on my opinion of the magazine!

Seriously, the publishers have an 'inclusive' philosophy, so the magazine is aimed at all levels, for both readership and contributions. In fact, given the vast knowledge of members of this forum, I would have thought all would have plenty of interest to contribute.

So get writing...and reading.

Great War magazine - remind me of the contact address please?

Bernard Lewis

I hate to be a colonial, but in the The Great War mag are there ever any articles about the CEF?

(Yes, I know I could write my own and fill up an issue! :P )

How about Stand To, I have been thinking about joining WFA, does this publication ever mention the Canadians?

Hi Broznitski:

There is a Pacific Coast Branch of the WFA; membership dues are $25.00 CDN. Their publication is 'The Listening Post' which contains many CEF articles.

If you're interested, I can e-mail you the local WFA information.

Mordac, yes please, re: info on Pacific Coast Branch.

Hello, I would recommend joining the WFA and then submit your own articles. I have had two published, one a German theme, the other a U.S. theme. The group depends upon the members to submit articles that relate to their field of expertise, interest, etc.

It would be great to see some new work.

Ralph

Broz

Searched the first 56 Stand Tos! index on CANAD, and turned up 22 articles (one or two from a quick visual scan as well!):-

Cave T The Canadian Corps (1)

Cave T The Canadian Corps (2)

Cave T The Canadian Corps (3)

Chapman P The Spirit of Canada - Uncloaked

Gaffen F Second Ypres (Canadians)

Gaffen F Canada on the Somme

Gaffen F The Canadians in 1917

Gaffen F Canada and the end of the war, 1918

McClintock A A Kentuckian with the Canadians in the Great War

Spagnoly A Canada at Ypres

Storey E The Canadian Ross Rifle

Storey E Valcartier Camp - 1914 and now

Storey E The Canadian Ross Rifle

Canadian field comforts

Cave J The five caribou

Cave T Canadian Corps Order of Battle

Mepham L P Caught in the Crossfire: Canadian Snipers

Parker J The Caribou at Beaumont Hamel

Parsons W The Newfoundland Regiment

The Ross rifle

Bourlon Wood

Could do with some Canadian members to write some more. :D

I also did an article in one of these on the 'forgotten' 44th CEF memorial on Vimy Ridge entitled, I think, 'A Vimy Survivor' - sadly it did little good, the memorial still sits there forgotten and unvisited; even by Canadians!

Broznitski

To answer your question: I don't recall having see any contributions specifically dealing with CEF in The Great War magazine.

It has only been running for just under two years, though. Incidentally, contributions from Ray Westlake (a name that will be well-known to many) have appeared in virtually all issues.

As this now seems like advertising, I will stop right there!

Paul

It's very sad to hear of this neglected memorial. Perhaps having re-highlighted the issue 'on forum' will now be of effect.

Hi Paul:

I hope to take a Vimy pilgrimage next year; I've yet to broach the subject with my wife. Once I've determined the logistics of the trip (cost and transportation) I'll see if I can sell the 'vacation' to my wife. ;)

Is there any chance you could e-mail me any information on the 44th CEF memorial and/or a copy of the article you wrote? Thanks.

Well I agree the most recent Stand To! was not as good as usual but it is consistently so good that we need not worry about that. The current editor Ann Clayton is a jewel, a first rate historian in her own right. She really wants articles on things other that the British Army so send your Canadian article! My first article was on the man mentioned below this post, a Canadian DCM from here in Kentucky. She will also publish articles on other fronts, quite sensible, all were connected.

A little story about Great War magazine. It's by Great Northern Publishing in Yorkshire. When I got my credit card bill for my subscription I was just back from the UK. Bill said Great Northern Pub, whatever town, Yorkshire. By God, someone has ripped me off says I! Yes, I spent an enormous amount of time in pubs but I was not near Yorkshire! Reported the theft to the company! Swore it was true! Then I get the first copy of the magazine, it's from Great Northern Publishing! Whoops! Another of my famous brain *****! I did confess my error and paid the bill.

There are 3 newsstand magazines dealing with genealogy research etc.

Family Tree and Practical Family History are both published monthly by ABM Publishing, 61 Great Whyte, Ramsey, Huntingdon PE26 1HJ. Tel: 01487 814050. The next issue of Family Tree is on sale 30/05/03 priced £2.70 and Practical Family History is on sale 09/05/03 priced £2.30.

Family History Monthly is published by Family History Monthly, 43-45 St Marys Road, Ealing W5 5RQ. The next issue is on sale 15/05/03 priced £2.60.

All 3 are available from WH Smith etc or on subscription. All carry some articles about WW1.

Ancestors is published by the PRO/NA in conjunction with Wharfedale Publishing and is available only on subsription, details on the PRO website.

I reckon there is a market for a proper newsstand magazine devoted to the Great War. With the 90th anniversary of 1914 just over a year away, what a great time to launch one!