Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cyril Carling, Highland Light Infantry

Doctord84

Born in 1899 at Driffield, East Yorkshire, he initially enlisted with the Seaforth Highlanders, but on being discovered to be underage, was discharged. Later re-enlisted with the Highland Light Infantry - his medal card / medal roll says he was in the 10th, 11th and 2nd Battalions, with the rank of Sergeant (service numbers 74680 & 55511). He's supposed to have been awarded the Military medal, (either on the Somme or Passchendaele according to family tradition), but I've not been able to find the award on the Gazette. Later worked as a master tailor in Beverley. Anyone any ideas?

Several documents re the Highland Light Infantry are available to read at the Royal Highland Fusiliers Museum in Glasgow:

http://www.rhf.org.uk/Books/

You can search through The HLI Chronicles from 1906 to 1921 and read several Battalion War Diaries.

Tom.

Thanks Tom and Sam!

I should have thought of trying C Carling as well as Cyril. much appreciated! his widow has donated a number of copies of a commemorative booklet about Cyril and I wanted to flesh out his story a bit more.

David

David,

For other reasons I needed to search through the HLI Chronicles.

While doing so, I also looked for 'Carling'.

I found a mention of a 'Sergt. Carling' on page 3 of the HLI Chronicles 1921. He is not further identified - see attached.

I also have a copy of the 2nd Bn HLI War Diary. There is no mention of 'Carling'.

On checking Sam's post with the link to the London Gazette, it does show him being awarded the MM as '55511 Sjt. Carling, C., 2nd Bn. (Beverley).'

This Gazette 31173 was published on 11 Feb 1919.

Kindest Regards,

Tom.

post-87018-0-57701600-1417100594_thumb.j

I should have thought of trying C Carling as well as Cyril.

David

I find the LG search engine a nightmare and normally search for surname only when it's less common like Carling, I find it gives better results.

Sam

Cheers Sam

It is as you say a bit of a nightmare, the old search engine was much easier to use. I'm gradually working through all the Easy Riding Yeomanry officer entries, which is a long job!

David

For other reasons I needed to search through the HLI Chronicles.

While doing so, I also looked for 'Carling'.

I found a mention of a 'Sergt. Carling' on page 3 of the HLI Chronicles 1921. He is not further identified - see attached.

Thanks Tom, every scrap of info helps build the picture anyway. When the Military Medal was issued, was it accompanied by any documentation detailing the circumstances of the award? I'll have to try the local paper in our Archives and see what turns up.

David

David,

As far as I have learned, the citation is very rarely found.

The original citation would be given to the recipient, but who knows what might become of it from the depths of a trench or shell hole.

It is sometimes shown in the War Diary or the Gazette (but rarely).

In the case of Sgt Carling he is listed with a mass of similar soldiers being awarded the MM. It was just too much to print in those days I suppose.

In the early days of the war, some of these were printed in the Gazette, but later it appears to be just too much, which is a shame.

Your best bet is the local newspaper archive.

Tom.