Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniform & Busby - could anyone ID please?

terrac

Not sure if this one is any better? The original picture is 6mb, i'm not sure if photobucket resizes or messes around with them?!

Ashantee looks promising. I need to find the medal rolls and go through those.

Untitled-18b_zpsff36aa5f.jpg

Not sure if this one is any better? The original picture is 6mb, i'm not sure if photobucket resizes or messes around with them?!

Ashantee looks promising. I need to find the medal rolls and go through those.

The Victorian Wars Forum will be very interested in this photo and some very good medal experts frequent there, as well as here. Sepoy was suggesting that you crop just the medals out from the image and then blow that extract up as far as the resolution allows.

Sadly that is about the best I can get from the scan.

Good idea i'll try the victorian wars forum too - thank you.

medals18b_zpsf0e30d1c.jpg

The medals are clear now, and I will stand corrected, it is an Ashantee Medal, 1873-74 (without clasp) Eygpt Medal, 1882 (without clasp) and Khedive's Star.

Sepoy

The medals are clear now, and I will stand corrected, it is an Ashantee Medal, 1873-74 (without clasp) Eygpt Medal, 1882 (without clasp) and Khedive's Star.

Sepoy

Spot on Sepoy. Much better view now. Quite chuffed I got the Khedive Star right from first glance.

I have had a quick look on the Royal Engineers Medal Rolls for the Ashantee and Egypt Medals but I cannot see a John Edward Leak. Are you sure about his name?? I suppose that he could have earned his Medals with another Regiment before transferring to the Royal Engineers.

Sepoy

I have had a quick look on the Royal Engineers Medal Rolls for the Ashantee and Egypt Medals but I cannot see a John Edward Leak. Are you sure about his name?? I suppose that he could have earned his Medals with another Regiment before transferring to the Royal Engineers.

Sepoy

I think he is a Volunteer Royal Engineer (Artillery - made a typo - see my earlier posts on page 1) and he thus might well have been a regular in another Arm, probably the infantry.

Brilliant thank you for confirming those medals.

Sepoy

It might not be John Edward Leak - this bit was just a guess really and I have found him working on the 1891 census which suggests he may not have been in the army. He wasnt old enough to serve in 1873 either. It is puzzling who it may be based upon the ages of the people in the image. It may be a case of trying to find those medal rolls and seeing if any of the main family names jump out at me. It must be a Leak, Robinson, Barton, Dobson or a Wilson I would think.

thank you

Ray

Brilliant thank you for confirming those medals.

It might not be John Edward Leak - this bit was just a guess really and I have found him working on the 1891 census which suggests he may not have been in the army. He wasnt old enough to serve in 1873 either. It is puzzling who it may be based upon the ages of the people in the image. It may be a case of trying to find those medal rolls and seeing if any of the main family names jump out at me. It must be a Leak, Robinson, Barton, Dobson or a Wilson I would think.

thank you

Ray

Ray as a Volunteer Royal Engineer (Artillery - made a typo - see my earlier posts on page 1) he would not be shown as "being in the army". He would have been a civilian. However, he would have had to be in the regulars at the time that the medals were awarded.

• 1 month later...

I "think" I have just found out who this is by accident!!!

Royal Marines Light Infantry? Artillery Volunteers?

The Story:

I found a death for a William Henry Marsden who was the second husband of my x3 great grandmother Sarah Starmer. The newspaper obituary mentioned he died aged 50 on 31st January 1902 and was a Pensioner of the Royal Marines Light infantry. It mentions that "Artillery Volunteers" attended his funeral.

I found his military record sheet on the discovery archive and paid the £3.30 fee. I find he had a long service sheet from 1870 to 1892. He gained the Ashantee medal 4 Jul 1876, Egypt 82 on 17 Oct 1873 and "H Bronze Star" on unknown date. With 12 good conduct badges.

I believe the man in the photograph is William Marsden and the lady is Sarah Starmer.

Thank you to all that helped.

I think the hackle's wrong for R Fusiliers - this hackle looks white and the Fusiliers is red and white. Same goes for Northumberland Fusiliers, though the dimensions of the badge look about right for their busbyversion. Looks about right for RE, collar badges match, but I thought the flame on the busby badge would be less wide than it appears on this pic.

Headgardener,

The Royal Fusiliers (City of London )Regt. Had a white hackle, the Red/White was Royal Northumberland Fusiliers. It was when the Fusilier Regiments amalgamated with the Warwickshire Regt. in the late 60s that the Red/White Hackles were adopted by the newly created Regiment. All academic as the soldier portrayed is a gunner, probably RGA.

Tony P

I "think" I have just found out who this is by accident!!!

Royal Marines Light Infantry? Artillery Volunteers?

The Story:

I found a death for a William Henry Marsden who was the second husband of my x3 great grandmother Sarah Starmer. The newspaper obituary mentioned he died aged 50 on 31st January 1902 and was a Pensioner of the Royal Marines Light infantry. It mentions that "Artillery Volunteers" attended his funeral.

I found his military record sheet on the discovery archive and paid the £3.30 fee. I find he had a long service sheet from 1870 to 1892. He gained the Ashantee medal 4 Jul 1876, Egypt 82 on 17 Oct 1873 and "H Bronze Star" on unknown date. With 12 good conduct badges.

I believe the man in the photograph is William Marsden and the lady is Sarah Starmer.

Thank you to all that helped.

This would imply that his regular service was with the RMLI and that was where he earned his Khedive Star and other regular medals. He then served with the Artillery Volunteers as part of the auxiliary forces. If you follow this thread back through from the beginning it makes sense. I agree with Tony that as a volunteer artilleryman he was RGA as almost all volunteer gunners manned the coastal forts and port defences.